Grey Knight Brotherhood Champion and Base contact Rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knight Brotherhood Champion and Base contact Rules

I encountered some confusion when playing my brotherhood champ; the squad he had joined just assaulted and moved into contact with an enemy squad. After the defenders react move, only the two front-most models in my assaulting squad (two terminators) were in base contact with the enemy, although the brotherhood champ (along with the remainder of the squad) remained within 2" of the two terminators in base contact, and were technically engaged in combat and able to contribute attacks. However, each of the brotherhood champs stances, with the exception of Blade Shield, require the champ to be in base contact with the enemy in order to execute the attacks.

Question: in a situation like this, can the brotherhood champion not attack? Is his only option Blade Shield until he moves into base contact?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by wpartri View Post
    Question: in a situation like this, can the brotherhood champion not attack? Is his only option Blade Shield until he moves into base contact?
    Pretty much. Also even if he were any other IC, he could still not attack. ICs are treated as separate units when attacks are made so an IC must be in B2B with the unit/IC to be able to attack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Just as Hockeyman said, ICs need to be in Base to base contact in order to attack not just within 2" of another model that is. This would also apply if you were using an IC that assaulted a unit while joined to another and for one reason or another your unit got to attack before the IC and your opponent allocated wounds to the models in B2B contact with your IC and removes them preventing your IC from attacking.

This is why Upgrade characters are so useful, they can't be specifically targeted in CC and only need to be within 2" of another member of their squad in CC to be able to attack.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Also note that your opponent should have used his pile in 6" move after you assaulted to get as many of your guys in base to base combat too.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Actually, as long as the IC is in base contact at the start of the assault phase then he may attack whatever unit he was in base contact with, even if the models in base contact are removed at a higher initiative step. This is spelled out (or at least implied) in the first paragraph of the first column of page 37.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradius View Post
    Actually, as long as the IC is in base contact at the start of the assault phase then he may attack whatever unit he was in base contact with, even if the models in base contact are removed at a higher initiative step. This is spelled out (or at least implied) in the first paragraph of the first column of page 37.
    This right here as well. Eligible targets are determined [U]before[U] blows are struck.

+ Reply to Thread