Shrike, combat squad and infiltrating. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Shrike, combat squad and infiltrating.

Combat squads rule dictates that you declare that the unit is breaking up into CS's when they are deployed. Does this mean you could take a 10 man assault squad with Shrike in wait to infiltrate with them, then deploy the squad as CS's?

Grey Knight WIP Thread <Clicky>

I am the Hammer...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by V3xx View Post
    Combat squads rule dictates that you declare that the unit is breaking up into CS's when they are deployed. Does this mean you could take a 10 man assault squad with Shrike in wait to infiltrate with them, then deploy the squad as CS's?
    Once you Combat squad them they count as two units so shrike can only join one and offer his abilities to them not the other. Infiltration takes place after deployment but before the first turn begins.

Short answer...NO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

But infiltrators are not deployed until after the main deployment. You declare they are combat squadding when you deploy them.

Marines arriving via drop pod can combat squad when the pod comes down. Surely the same would apply for an infiltrating unit?

I am the Hammer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Hmmm...

The FAQ does point out that the very first thing you must do before deploying any unit is declare any attached ICs.

Bottom left of page 3.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Marines arriving by drop pod have a special exception that states that they can combat squad. The conclusion that I reached is that only squads deploying normally or arriving by drop pods can combat squad. If they're infiltrating, outflanking, or deep striking by other means, you're out of luck.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradius View Post
    Marines arriving by drop pod have a special exception that states that they can combat squad. The conclusion that I reached is that only squads deploying normally or arriving by drop pods can combat squad. If they're infiltrating, outflanking, or deep striking by other means, you're out of luck.
    So where does it say infiltrating units cannot split into combat squads?

I am the Hammer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Infiltrate, Deepstrike, and Reserves just happen to use the word "deploy" when describing the placement of units.

Furthermore, while the FAQ mentions that you may not Combat Squad IN Reserve, but it also does not prohibit Combat Squads upon deploying on the table AFTER Reserves. There is a difference; if that's a problem for you then beg GW for more clearly defined game terms.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    Furthermore, while the FAQ mentions that you may not Combat Squad IN Reserve, but it also does not prohibit Combat Squads upon deploying on the table AFTER Reserves. There is a difference; if that's a problem for you then beg GW for more clearly defined game terms.
    The example in the FAQ states that you cannot deploy one combat squad and hold the other in reserve.

I'm still yet to find it anywhere that states you cannot deploy infiltrators into combat squads

I am the Hammer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

That's exactly what I'm getting at. All those "irregular" methods to enter play are all referred to as "deployment".

So we are told we can Combat Squad out when we deploy, and not given any restrictions or caveats about the type of deployment.

It could very well be that GW plays the other way, but we can't be sure if they don't tell us. We must continue to glean meaning from their rules like its some ancient theological tome until we can pressure them for more clearly defined game terms.
    Last edited by psichotykwyrm; October 12th, 2011 at 13:16.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

That, and when GW doesn't say you can do something, it typically means you can't. For example, I could declare victory if my cat attacked all your miniatures. But that would be A) Ridiculous, Hilarious, and C) Not permitted by the rules. It doesn't say I can do that, but it doesn't say I can't.

Since Drop Pods have a special exception that clarifies that they can Combat Squad when deploying irregularly, my conclusion was that you need an exception to combat squad when deploying irregularly (more importantly, it also says you can't combat squad when in reserve, which then implies you must reserve the whole unit, or none of it. How can you not combat squad in reserve but have a combat squad in reserve?)

It really is a grey area, but that's my take on it. This is prettymuch GW's murkiest area yet, and that's saying something.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast