(New) Assault Move - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(New) Assault Move

Greetings

So today i played my 5th game and a dispute arose when i were to assault 10 assault marines into a group of death company.

He had 1 guy in cover and the rest where outside of it.
    My closest guy to his unit were way off from the guy that stood in terrain.

Now if i were to charge in, i move my closest to his closest and later we discovered that the last guy i had to move could only charge his guy that stood in terrain

What happens now?
    Should i had roll a difficult terrain roll at the beginning of the assault? and thus possibly failed my assault?

Lets say he had a drop pod in front of his unit, could i declare that the guy that had to move into the terrain where charging that instead?

I'm just quite lost and it would be great if someone could clarify what actually happens in this scenario

Best Regards
    Kerrai

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

You're charging a unit that is partially in cover and so you have to take a difficult terrain test.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

I really dont think that on a ten man unit(assuming it was)having a single model in cover counts as been in cover at all.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

If he was to charge the unit that is outside of cover he would have to take a difficult terrain test and so charging the unit that has one model in terrain means the same thing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see, and lets say i decide to assault the drop pod.

I move the one that had to charge into terrain (as he also were closest to the drop pod)

Can i move him to the drop pod and then multi-assault the rest into the death company, or does it still count's as charging into terrain? and i need the diff terrain roll now as well?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

You still have to take a difficult terrain test because the unit you are assaulting has one model in terrain, doesn't matter that you aren't assaulting the only guy in terrain and i would do it as one difficult terrain test. If the unit was fully outside terrain then as long as you can assault the Drop Pod without touching a ramp then there wouldn't be a need for difficult terrain test.

EDIT:

Just re-read your post, if you are having to assault through the drop pod then you can only go over the ramps as you can't go through vehicles, i generally say that for the purposes of movement the ramps count as difficult terrain. The only problem is the Drop Pod is bigger than 6" when fully deployed and so you shouldn't be able to assault an enemy unit with it in the way.
    Last edited by TheShad0w; October 31st, 2011 at 09:24.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

i generally say that for the purposes of movement the ramps count as difficult terrain.
    You count the ramps as difficult terrain? They have no in game function, why would you count them as terrain? That would mean every unit deploying from a pod would have to take a test when they first arrived then another when they tried to move away from the pod.

Drop pod ramps are not terrain.
    In the 41st millenium there is no such thing as paranoia, the universe realy is out to get you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Actually good point, i tend to forget that either way assaulting a unit partially in terrain requires difficult terrain test.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheShad0w View Post
    You're charging a unit that is partially in cover and so you have to take a difficult terrain test.
    I agree with this and so does pages 34 and 36 in the rules.

Although the movement during Assault is for models the test is for entire the unit.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

A way round it is to move the attacking unit so that only say 3 models are in 6" of the enemy models that are in the open. (Shift your guys away from that chap behind the fence). Then charge in and move up your remaining unit members as close as you can but no terrain test must be made. Now the enemy piles in abandoning his position behind the fence.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast