Force Weapons and Wolf Tail Talismens - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Force Weapons and Wolf Tail Talismens

Do Wolf Tail Talismens get to attempt to nullify the psychic test to activate force weapons?

Wolf Tail Talismens allow a squad equipped with one to negate a psychic spell that effects them on a roll of 5+.

Does the roll to activate the force weapons effect the squad getting attacked by the force weapon or does it effect the squad weilding the force weapons much like hammer hand does on GKs.
    Hammer hand increases the S of the squad so it effects the GKs but the actual spell doesn't effect the squad getting assaulted so they wouldn't get a chance to nullify it. But it does effect them indirectly because of the effect of the spell on the GKs. Is the force weapon activation the same as Hammerhand, effecting the actual force weapon or the squad suffering a wound from it?

Let the debate begin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    865 (x8)

I say no for the same reason as hammerhand.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    580 (x8)

A Wolf Tail Talisman is used to stop a unit being affected by a psychic power, not to nullify the psychic test which permitted the attack to happen in the first place. That is negated by the Runic Staff.

Basically there are three levels of psychic protection:

Runic Staff prevents the psychic power going off in the first place if the nullification roll is successful.

Runic Armour: If the psychic attack succeeds in going off and manages to cause a wound which would ignore the armour save of the target, the target model can use the invulnerable save afforded by the Runic Armour instead. However, it doesn't do anything against a psychic power which does not cause wounds, like Lash.

Wolf Tail Talisman: used against anything which affects the model or the unit he is with. It is no use for preventing the power being cast, but could be used against Lash as the power affects the model/unit. If you count being wounded by the psychic power as "affecting" the model/unit, then I suppose it could be used against wounds too.

I think I have this right, but it would be good if someone double-checked me.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

I don't know exact wording on wolf tail talisman, but it sounds like it could be simplified if "target" was involved.

The runic staff can nullify regardless of who the spell targets.
    The wolf tail talisman can nullify a spell targeting the unit that is equipped with the talisman.

I think effect/affect makes the wording seem confusing.
    May the Dragon of Unhappiness never fly up your bottom.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Units with Wolf Tail talismans nullify powers that "affect" them which should be viewed somewhere along the lines as "being targeted" as some try to use wolf tails to nullify things like hammerhand and other buffing powers

The way force weapons work for units with the Brotherhood of Psykers function differently in that instead of inflicting instant death on the wounded model which would be able to be nullified by Wolf Tail Talisman, they instead make the BoP unit wounds they cause inflict instant death that phase which should not be able to be nullified by wolf tail talismans.
    Warhammer 40k: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Lizards (wolves), Kroot, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar
    Warhammer: Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Brettonians, High Elves, Skaven

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    865 (x8)

Similar I suppose to hammerhand Psi power used by grey knights. It gives the grey knight unit +1 strength which if they are in combat with a wolftail equipped hrey hunter unit would be bad for them but the effect is on the grey knights boosting their stats who then use that boost to hurt other units. It doesn't effect the grey hunters themselves directly.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.