Shooting from transports - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting from transports

I have a transport heavy Dark Eldar army and so I have thoroughly read the rules on transport, open topped, fast, and skimmer vehicles. As far as I can put together, units may disembark from any transport vehicle that has not (or will not) move 'flat out' that turn and subsequently shoot in the following shooting phase (counting as having moved of course). BUT the unit may not shoot while embarked if the vehicle is moving at cruising speed. The rules seem pretty clear, but from a "spirit of the rule" kind of perspective, I don't understand why units in a transport may not shoot from fire points if the vehicle moves more than 6" BUT they have enough time to be able to disembark and shoot from a vehicle moving considerably farther/faster. Did I interpret these rules right or did I miss something? Relevant rules are "Fire points" and "Embarking/Disembarking" on p66, and "Open-topped transport vehicles" and "Fast transport vehicles" on p70

I feel like units aboard transports, especially open topped "gunboat" type transports, should have a mobility advantage over footslogging counterparts. The way its currently written, units in transports can still only move 6" and shoot, which is no better than if they were on foot! I guess you could say they are better protected, or have the option of moving faster if they dont shoot. I still feel like my transports aren't quite giving me the mobility they should be. I'm interested to hear discussion on the spirit of this rule as well as whether or not I interpreted it correctly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

The rules are pretty clear on the matter, so there's not any room for anyone to argue "spirit" of the rule in an attempt to have it read differently.

Just remember that the rules are an abstraction, and do not always need to make perfect sense.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by godonnell06 View Post
    I don't understand why units in a transport may not shoot from fire points if the vehicle moves more than 6" BUT they have enough time to be able to disembark and shoot from a vehicle moving considerably farther/faster. Did I interpret these rules right or did I miss something? Relevant rules are "Fire points" and "Embarking/Disembarking" on p66, and "Open-topped transport vehicles" and "Fast transport vehicles" on p70
    You haven't got it wrong, that's exactly how it works. Also remember that troops on board a moving vehicle, also count as moving when they fire. So they can't fire heavy weapons, and any rapid fire weapons are restricted to the 12" range.

The way it works is very strange, but I think it's designed that way to prevent endless drive-by shootings. I'm led to believe that this was a problem in earlier editions of the rules.
    Can you imagine the effect it would have on today's game? Infantry would never need to bother getting out of their vehicles!

As PK said, the rules really are just an abstraction, they cannot possibly represent real life situations. The combat speed of vehicles represents the vehicle crawling along slowly to fire weapons and maintain pace with an infantry advance. While cruising/flat out represents the vehicle moving as fast as possible to deliver it's cargo to where they need to be. The fact that troops can then disembark and fire is because the vehicle got there so fast, the troops had time to deploy and take up firing positions I guess.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same kind of problems when I started using my Transport heavy list (I usually run 5-7 raiders in 100-1500 points. I found best thing is because the open topped/skimmer/fast/transport vehicles are all basically an "off branch" of the main tank rules, read the WHOLE section on tanks and you may find better understanding. But don't expect it to EVER make sense...

Basically in a nutshell, explain how pain can stop someone from dying? We're playing the epitome of weird armies... Anythings possible

+ Reply to Thread