blast scatter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blast scatter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blast scatter

I'm very new to 40k and I was playing a 500 point game at the weekend and I was targeting one of his units and threw a 12'' scatter, minus my bs skill of 4 I moved the small blast and it landed on top of a different squad/unit. My opponent claimed that because I aimed at a different squad the shot is classed as a miss and the damage of the blast is worked out at half strength.
    Is this true? all help is welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, the blast marker has hit and because you tried to hit that unit and scattered, it would hit the other unit( well that's how i always play it and no one complains about it and can't be bothered to get the rulebook).
    Now the thing about half strength is wrong. It is still determined at the original strength of the gun. For tanks however, if the center( hole) of the blast template is over the tank than it is determined at full strength but if it is only partially covering a vehicle, it is only at half strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

Your opponent is completely wrong.

All you need to know about Blast weapons is on pg. 30 of the core rules. Once the Blast template has been moved, any models under it are hit, including "units out of range and sight (or even your own troops, or models locked in combat)." The only way the Blast is an automatic miss is if the original target is out of range; if it is in range, where it lands and who it hits is in the hands of the dice.

Also, the only half-strength rule is for vehicles and can be found on pg. 60 of the core rules. Whether a Blast weapon does full or half damage depends on where the template (and the hole) are after scatter: either on the hull or not.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

You may not have seen this yet, XIII, but the latest BRB FAQ has now ruled that if the hole at the centre of a blast marker is only partially over the vehicle the shot will be resolved at FULL strength. It's on P.4 of the afore-mentioned FAQ.

To Anakin: the rules for blast weapons are found as XIII said on P.30 BRB. You place the marker first, then measure to the centre of the hole. If it's in range then you roll for scatter. If it's not then it's a miss.

Rolling for scatter can have the marker land on another unit (even your own!), or it can land on a combat. Any of these are perfectly legal (unfortunate if it lands on your own troops). Wounds caused on models involved in a combat dont't count towards the resolution of who won the combat though.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling at the time he was wrong but I didn't want to make a fuss because I'm only new to the hobby and I wasn't 100%
    I'll casually mention it to him the next time I see him. It probably wouldn't of made a difference though, I got hammered.....lol, but I learnt loads
    Current Army (1st)- Space Wolves 1,500 points

Remember, the Force will be with you.... Always!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to update you all, I was talking with the guy and he said he made a mistake and offered a rematch with the same armies and conditions which we are hopefully going to do over the next week or so.
    Current Army (1st)- Space Wolves 1,500 points

Remember, the Force will be with you.... Always!

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

That's how it should be done: friendly rematch with everyone having learnt something.

Have fun.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread