Terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terrain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we normally play on 4x4 boards, and as an IG player, im sick of having 7 pieces....yes 7 pieces on a board that small. my friends insist on having 2+2d3 pieces....its impossible to set up firing lanes...how many pieces do you suggest?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

7 pieces on a 4'x4' is probably a bit too much, of course depending on the actual size of the pieces.

Take a look at the 4thEd rules, page 78-79 for some pointers. The example boards are probably about 6'x4' in dimension.

Also, how do You place the terrain? You might want to add a bit of randomization... For each terrain piece, roll a Scatter dice. On a hit, the terrain stays where it is. Otherwise the terrain piece scatters D6 or 2D6 (up to You to decide) in the direction of the arrow. If a piece would fall off the board, it's gone. If it goes partway past the board edge, decide whether to remove it or back it up inside the board edge.

This should add some randomness to the terrain, without forcing to either play in utterly cluttered terrain (unfair to You) or an open shooting gallery (unfair to Your opponent).
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should see the place I play at. I've seen tables that were over 50% tree bases. Instead of complaining about the amount of terrain (sometimes you're not gonna be fighting on open plains and deserts) we just alter our lists to use the terrain to our advantage. For example I usually run a squad of wraiths and scarabs, both units that ignore cover for movement purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after we decide the amount of terrain we each place on piece at a time, until we run out. my friends always places all the terrain pieces in one corner of the board, and it gets very annoying. i try to spread it out, but he refuses. perhaps that scatter idea would work. oh yeah, our pieces of terrain are large, about 6in by 4 in, so terrain takes up a fairly large portion of the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

We see this all the time! People it's a game... The greatest thing about warhammer is that it is a game! When you play against your friends; Don't go all I want this and I want that. Have fun and tell your buddy too ease up, try something new...

BTW It is a hell lot better too feel that you won because of your skills and luck, then because you manipulated the tarrain! :closedeyes:
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usally place the terrain to look natural . Once than is done then i even up the deployment zones, you all do place the terrain before you choose deployment zones don't you?

I just think if my opponent choose's deployment which edge/corner is the worst, then just add more cover to the worst zone/s.

I find having each terrain piece 3 to 10 inches apart works well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am new, but played first time with a friend at a games workshop a few weeks ago.

This is how I was taught.

each side rolls d6.

winner places 1 piece, loser places 1 piece, etc, etc...

then each side rolls d6, winner chooses deployment zone, loser is opposite of winner.

no way you can setup terrain that will be to your advantage on all 4 sides.

7x 6"x4" sounds a bit extreme, if it is level 3 area terrain that is. we ussually play with 2 pieces of lvl 3 area terrain (about 6x2 or 6x3 or 5x4, etc..). A couple of rock formations mebe 2x2 that are impassable/block los (but are really small), and some other pieces (mainly the wreckage from macragge). The rule book recommends 25% of the board have differing terrain, some blocking los, and some just impeding movement.

FWIW - I have been really happy with the results of the board using these ideas.

Justin
    Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Another thing to try is to quarter the board before terrain is set up, and then put a random number of pieces in eace quarter, like say a d2. That way, you'll have 4-8 pieces (or more if it's a larger board. For a 4x4 board, I'd stick with a d2). Then each player takes turns putting out 1 piece of terrain, but this way there will only be a max of 1-2 pieces of terrain per quarter. You can overlap the quarters so long as the majority of the piece you are setting is in the designated area. (I.E. I'm putting this piece in quarter 1, but I'm going to let it overlap a bit into quarter 2). That way, it's almost impossible to set up the terrain to anyone's advantage (especially since you chose sides after the terrain has been placed)
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

On my 4'x6' table I normally use 6 peaces of terrain. Normally two hills, and four area terrain features. (3 woods and a ruin.) Each area terrain peace is 8''x11'' and the hills are about that. We normally divide the table up into six 2'x2' sections and place one bit of terrain in each.
    I normally play in Rogue traitor tournaments and Grand tournaments so I try to emulate their terrain.
    7 peaces of terrain on a 4'x4' table is a bit much, but 6''x4'' terrain seems small to me, three bits of your terrain would be the total size of one of my area terrain peaces.
    Next time you play field 2 or 3 basses and a few mortar teams, I bet next time you play your opponent wont be to keen on placing so much terrain.
    -GM
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

+ Reply to Thread