Weapon Destroyed Result - Wave Serpent Shields - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Weapon Destroyed Result - Wave Serpent Shields

Hi there folks, a thought occured to me about the new serpent shields. They can be fired as a weapon now if the shields are deactivated. So how does the weapon destroyed result affect them? I'm going to list several possibilitys which spring to mind, going from what I believe the most like result is to the most unlikely.

A) They can no longer fire as a weapon but the shields still run as normal.
    They cannot be destroyed by weapon destroyed results.
    C) Both the weapon and the shields are gone for the rest of the game.

I think A is the most likely, would love option B to be true but fear it will be C. If anyone has any other theorys or even better yet an answer please write your responses below.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Is the serpent shield listed under the wave serpent's weapons? No? then it can not be destroyed by a weapon destroyed result (just like the monolith's portal can not)
    Chaos Daemon's W/L/D
    7th Edition - 2/0/0
    6th Edition - 91/17/7

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by CrownAxe View Post
    Is the serpent shield listed under the wave serpent's weapons? No? then it can not be destroyed by a weapon destroyed result (just like the monolith's portal can not)
    Did you actually read the codex before posting your answer? There is not a weapons list in either of the entrys in the codex for the wave sepent, on pages 45 or 97, there is a war gear section, which lists both the weapons and the shield.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x6)

Are the shields an upgrade? No codex so I can't read it.

If they are upgrades then I would look at what they are upgrades under, probably not weapons but just upgrades in general

If its just listed as baseline wargear (not an option You pay for) then it's harder to tell, if it was a weapon option I would say that at the very least I would suspect the firing ability could be destroyed.
    We keeell eet for kaaaooooss!!

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

I think your first option is the more likely, FMcL. The Serpent Shield is treated as a hull-mounted weapon if it is used to shoot, and the shield is then down during your opponent's turn. If he then succeeds with a weapon destroyed result, I think that the Serpent Shield is now an option for him to choose since it is being treated as a weapon at the time of the damage result.

Obviously the answer will need to come from an FAQ, but that's how I would read it. Vehicle Damage Charts don't include taking away Siege shields or extra armour, so why would the Serpent Shield ability to defend its vehicle be treated any different?

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; June 19th, 2013 at 02:20. Reason: Spelling
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by thenewKhan View Post
    Are the shields an upgrade? No codex so I can't read it.

If they are upgrades then I would look at what they are upgrades under, probably not weapons but just upgrades in general

If its just listed as baseline wargear (not an option You pay for) then it's harder to tell, if it was a weapon option I would say that at the very least I would suspect the firing ability could be destroyed.
    It comes standard with it, it's not an upgrade you pay for it's included in the base cost.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Macleod View Post

It comes standard with it, it's not an upgrade you pay for it's included in the base cost.
    Hmmm

I would say either it's a "weapon" destroyed, so only the shooting gets removed, or it's a nothing. Definitely needs clarification from GW.
    We keeell eet for kaaaooooss!!

jboweruk

If 2 players in a game asked me I'd say no and here's my reasoning. It's not physically a weapon per se, it's a shield that just happens to do damage under certain criteria. You can blow off the turret weapons, or the underslung weaponry, but where is the shield? You can't kill what you can't see. Otherwise they would have to have an entry under vehicles for 'crewmember killed', and they don't. So I'd say no, simply because it's not actually a weapon and the 'weapon destroyed' is specifically that. Otherwise you could argue that shields and such can be removed which only a Vindicare assassin can do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

No, its not a weapon

It is treated as a weapon in the shooting phase if the eldar player chooses to deactivate the shield to fire and that is the only time

If you somehow managed to get a 'weapon destroyed' result on the wave serpent during its own shooting phase after it had declared to fire the shield... then maybe you would have an argument

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Definitely need and FAQ. Until then the most reasonable course of action is to discuss it before hand with your opponent and mutually agree on how to play it. I'd probably defer to what my opponent wanted as this isn't a big enough issue for me to really fight over.

Because it can shoot at any time I'm inclined to call it a weapon all the time. I'd like to point out I haven't read the specific entry to the shields, if I were to I may change my mind.

Also, as Jboweruk I have to disagree with your reasoning. "Weapon destoyed" isn't limited to just ripping off the barrel of a weapon. It could be ammunition is hit/damaged, energy systems are disrupted, the targeting systems are critically damaged, or any other number of possibilities. Simply because you can see a weapon doesn't mean you should be unable to damage it. Likewise the current table can cover the effect of having a crew member killed. Immobilization could be a dead pilot. Weapon destroyed could be a dead gunner. Wreck could be the entire crew being dead. The reason they don't go into these specifics is because the effective result is all that matters.
    ~ Rape the churches and burn the women!