Weapons Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, I just had a few questions regarding weapons in regard to what characters can use them and which ones can't. Here goes:

1. Can a Librarian use two power fists in a combination? ( the reason I ask is since he's a spell caster I figured he might need the use of one of his hands, but hey, maybe having two giant hands are even better.)

2. Are seargants allowed to use force swords?

3. Would a weapon similar to the gauntlets of ultramar be allowed for a special character other than Marneus? (the version I was thinking of using was two power fists converted with stormbolters attached to the shoulders).

4. Is it necessarry to have all space marines equipped with those backpacks (I heard they're used to get rid of waste, so I want to know if there's a penalty if your guy isn't wearing one.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Can a Librarian use two power fists in a combination? ( the reason I ask is since he's a spell caster I figured he might need the use of one of his hands, but hey, maybe having two giant hands are even better.)
    Yes he can. However giving him 2 powerfists instead of a powerfist and a stormbolter or pistol has absolutely no advantages and quite a few disadvantages. For converting a model I can't see anything stopping you though.

2. Are seargants allowed to use force swords?
    It requires psychic power to use a force weapon, therefore limiting force weapons to psykers.

3. Would a weapon similar to the gauntlets of ultramar be allowed for a special character other than Marneus? (the version I was thinking of using was two power fists converted with stormbolters attached to the shoulders).
    Ummm....I don't think GW would ever do it since it would detract from the "uniqueness" of Marneus. The closest they will ever come is probably gonna be shrike's claws. For your own "special" special character I don't see anything detracting from it. Just make sure you pay for both your fists.

4. Is it necessarry to have all space marines equipped with those backpacks (I heard they're used to get rid of waste, so I want to know if there's a penalty if your guy isn't wearing one.)
    No actual rules penalty for fielding unbackpacked marines. In fluff terms there would be huge penalties including greatly reduced mobility, field time, marine survivability and inability to deal with certain conditions. The backpack contains most of the energy supply for the suit, the facilities to convert waste back into usable nutrients as well as most of the other nifty tricks a power armor has. I really cannot see a spacemarine not using a backpack fluff wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for your response to these questions. The reason I asked was that I was developing a librarian special character.
    I know aesthetics are less important than game practicality, but what I wanted to do was make a special character with two powerfists for the sake of aesthetic symetry. I'd then a bolt pistol and put them on his shoulders as mounted weapons. Numberwise, I would disregard the other power fist and simply consider the model overall to have a basic powerfist/stormbolter combination, nothing more nothing less. That way the character would have a look I found interesting, yet still have weapon attributes that were reasonable.

A few other questions about customization as far as rules go:

1. I wanted my assault troops to have reagular blades instead of chainswords. They wouldn't be powerweapons, but would simply act as a ccw. Is this possible?

2. Is it possible to simply retrofit one of the standard sm tanks with the organ of the excorcist tank. It wouldn't act as a new weapon or anything, but it would give the tank an interesting look (plus I always thought the idea of the soldiers inside a transport getting pumped by listening to the music seemed like a cool fluff idea).

I guess most of these questions all relate to how far I can go with aesthetic liberties while still making the army playable. I'm a big conversion nut, but I enjoy playignt he game too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

It really all depends on what you want to do with your army. If you play on playing in tournaments and GW events, then I'd stay clear of the Librarian idea, and the organ as well. If you want just friendly games, then go for it - it isn't like you're changing rules, just playing around with the visuals a bit.

The Librarian, you could just give him a powerfist and bolt pistol, rule-wise, since a bolt pistol would count as an extra CCW in assault. Model him with the two fists and the shoulder thingy, and make it clear to opponents BEFORE the game that he's just carrying a fist and bolt pistol. It'd be fine for most (if not all) friendly games. If you start doing custom rules and points values and all that you're getting into a tricky area, best if you avoid that altogether.

The organ, that's a little tricky. Might look cool, but you could get fluff nazi's against you - music would be too much of an indulgence for SM to really use. It's more of a Slaneeshi thing ^_^

As for the CCW swap, it's ok as long as they aren't painted in any way that could be mistaken for power or force weapons (ie blue, glowing, lightning, etc). You can use just about anything as a CCW - I saw an ork army using bitz of other army's armor as CCW: Nid legs, DE helmets, SM shoulder pads, Wraith tails, etc. Funny as all heck, and totally legal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

i changed my choppas to be flails. it looks hilarious on the battlefield since many of them have the flail chain and a chain with a head attached to it. (the uge choppa is just scary though)

all the backpacks actualy do for power armor/aegis armor is power the suit. whe the suit has power it gives marines extra super strength, further enhanced senses, private vox unit, and of course the recycling ability of the suit. look at an inquisitor in power armor, most dont have a pack..

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking of goign for a thunder claw combo instead of a power fist combo, is that a generally better idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

You mean lightning claw? Yes, a pair of lightning claws is a common weapon matchup. But you would be unable to give the model two lightning claws and a bolt pistol, and if you only gave him one claw, you couldn't model it as two (as two claws have a different price and ability from one claw & another weapon).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I've generally changed the idea for the design to give the character two lightning claws instead of that wierd powerfist combo, but thanks for your advice.

+ Reply to Thread