sergeants, veteran sergeants, and squad equpiment... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sergeants, veteran sergeants, and squad equpiment...

I was playing a game with a group of people who appeared to be fairly well versed in the rules of 40k and all their obscurity. So of course when they said i couldn't use my custom made scout sergeant with sniper rifle i was a bit taken aback and confused.

If you look at the wording it says ANY MEMBER of the squad can replace their weapons for a sniper rifle at +5 points. Well I had thought that the sergeant counted as a member of the squad.

Now, i can see the sense in a rule similar to this, for instance I would be surprised to see a tactical squad whose sergeant was holding a missle launcher. Also they used as supports examples such as devistators who would have a sergeant w/out heavy weapon as well as Long fangs who even more inflexible and require a sergeant w/out hvy weapons.

They also said this rule was in some chapter approved edition. But i will also add that these guys think 2 twin linked lascannons get 4 shots (for those who read the entertaining debate on that subject).

I don't suppose anyone could point me to a rule, or give an interpretation of the chapter approved rule that would let me keep my sergeant legal??

(convieniently they had forgotten to bring their chapter approved book so I never actually got to see this rule...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to be the one to say this, but your friends are right ( at least with the scout sgt), you cannot give your sgt a sniper rifle. In the CA 2003 the Scout entry has been changed so it says any scout. I also think this is mentioned in the SM Q&A found in the CA section on the GW site.
    Master Belial

'But for corruption thou hast made Belial, an angel of hostility. All his dominions are in darkness, and his purpose is to bring about wickedness and guilt. All the spirits that are associated with him are but angels of destruction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, thanks for at least putting to rest my doubt on the subject. I guess I'll just have to make them veteran sergeants and give `em stormbolters instead :lol: (i can do that right?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you can give him a storm bolter.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Codex Space Marines, page 5:
    "If a squad is allowed to have models with upgraded weaponry, then these may be taken only by ordinary squad member, not the sergeant."

jwu

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can see it like this, it may say that "any or a sertain number of the members of the squad me be armed as follows..."

This usually doesn't include the sergeant.
    In the codexes it should say that a sergeant may choose equipment from the appropriate equipment list for up to 50/100 or more points.
    Either he has standard equipment as a the squad or he changes it to something in the equipment list.

Eztrovia!
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait a sec, are you saying i don't have to upgrade my sergeants to veteran status to give him wargear from the characteer's list of stuff?

it does explicitly say terminator sergeants can have war gear but i didn't see it for non-veteran sergeants. (it seems to me terminator sergeants are already veterans, though oddly enough the sergeant of the veteran squad has to be upgraded in order to be a veteran sergeant, seems silly)

And i concede the point with the codex page 5 bit (i was just thinking of the sniper upgrade in the same terms as gernade upgrades since there was no numercal limit) its just disecting the semantics of the options listings can seem a bit like reading tea leaves at times.

And, i can't resist asking so i apologize in advance, but IF normal sergeants can't have wargear from the armoury then would not gernades fall under the category or weapons upgrades?

and thanks for the input on this to all...

Closed Thread