Custom-made Codexes? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been dying to bring a fictional army I have in a story I was writing into the WH40k universe, (at least for text's sake,) but if there are any actual guides for making this kinda thing, I'd appreciate it if someone could point one such Codex-making guide out.

Anyone know where I can find such a guide? It's not a chapter or sub-version of an existing army, but rather a completely new one, (from the Warp.)

Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got a good question there...
    I can't say for sure, but I've never heard of anyone making their own codex or wether it's legal at all...
    Can anyone please put out more on this subject?
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be perfectly legal, you just need your opponents permission to use the force in a battle.
    Of course you couldn't use it in any offical tournies or anything but it would be good otherwise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

It should be perfectly legal, as it would only be a listing of all your forces stats and such, and in theory you should be able to use GW related pictures, as long as you dont mass produce your codex, which your not but I can't be sure about that, and besides, you dont really need pictures. HOWEVER if there your own drawings, thats something completely different, and you should be able to use them.

I'm in the process of making mine, and basically all it will be will be stats of units and my force, mixed with fluff, history and rules for my army. All in MS Word, all printed out, maybe a cover sheet for it, then all placed in a hard or soft folder.
    Wham, one homemade codex.

But as Elandili said you'd need your opponents go ahead before you would be able to use them, but as long as your force isn't hyped up and is pretty fair, and providing the guy your playing against isn't a complete thonk then you should be fine.

Good luck.

Toastee
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I was really hoping to find a site at least to show me some guidelines to follow... after all, even if they cost a truckload of points, you could make two troop choices of 5 units with 10 WS/BS/S/T and 3 wounds and 2+ invun save and soulless... sure, cost u a left nut, but it would be sooo overpowered and nearly unbeatable :ph34r:
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya.. and thast exactly why people are leary of alowing "home made codecies" my suggestion is to take a stat line for somthing likea space marine and if you up one stat lower another. though some stats are more important than others.. then make him a couple of points more. that way at a glance it looks ok. stay away from too many special rules. like " this is my super mega uber warp beastie and he has a 2+ invul save and a 1+ WBB roll... except on tuesdays.. then he only gets a 2+ wbb.... " if you dont give your oponant/friends somthing to complain about they usually wont. back in second edition my frineds and i would work on untis together. like i would have an idea for a new aspect warrior type, make up all the fluff stats and points then they would cretique it and id shut up and listen specially if i ever wanted to use them in a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I was thinking about it, and compared one unit to a Space Marine unit and tried it out. Here's an Troop choice.

Veles Troop Unit
    Name-----Points/Model-----WS----BS-----S-----T------W-----I----A----Ld.------Sv.
    Veles-----------18------------5------2------3------3------1-----5----1-----8------4+/6+
    Thama---------25-------------6-----2------4------3------1-----6----1------8-----4+/6+
    Lilio-----------+15------------6------2------4------3------1-----6----2-----9------4+/6+

Unit: The unit consists of one Thama and nine Veles.

I still have to design weapons and armor.

Basically, I took one point away from the Strength, Toughness and Save, and two points from the BS, giving me five. I added one to WS and one to Initiative, leaving me three to "justify" the 6+ invunerable save, (it's more of a racial ability, the armor save comes from the actual armor,) and boosted the point cost by three.

The Thama gets one extra WS and S, so I made him 6 points more expensive.

The Lilio is an upgrade for the Thama, +15 for one more point on Attack and Leadership.

The weapons will be fairly accurate for equipping this team, though as you can see it may be based a bit more on melee, with or without a transport option.

Well, what do ya think? Do I have some semblance to custom-unit making, or do I need a few pointers? I know the invunerable save might scare some, but that's one of the reasons I robbed a few points here and there and added to the cost. If this still doesn't make up for a 6+ invunerable save, (mainly cuz of the tiny edge it gets against power weapons and instant death,) just gimme a suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basicaly babel_matrix you really need to look at what other armies have for point cost and stats. ie your little troop there are 2 points more then a genestealer they have more wounds better armour and can shot...... if someone ever wanted to use an army agaisnt me that they had made they would have to submit a full written codex a week before we played (to allow tiem to check and find loop holes), then i would say no because i doubt there is anyone that could make a army that isnt cheeze.

[QUOTE]even if they cost a truckload of points, you could make two troop choices of 5 units with 10 WS/BS/S/T and 3 wounds and 2+ invun save and soulless.

you have got to be kidding. who is going to allow you to field a squad with those stats. im sure they will all have a hand held railgun or earthshaker cannon too. twin linked even.

sorry but it ya.

XG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got bored and tried to make a way to buy stats. It seems I found a way that works pretty good with at least the troops choices for chaos, dark eldar, eldar, orks and tau. The points cost becomes almost the same (equal or max 1 pt more) for those Ive tested.

If anyone is interested I could continue the work, including weapons, bikes and stuff like that, but only if you agree to become beta-tester

If(interested==true) mail("arew@rocketmail.com");

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oi, X-Griffin, I was giving an example as to why there SHOULD be a guide because people would try and pull that stuff off. Of COURSE I wouldn't make something that ridiculous, that was an example for Christ's sake. The ACTUAL unit I tried to make as a test-drive of a suggestion is listed later on.

For Christ's sake, what moron would actually try and pass that monstrous "troop" for a fair unit? :ph34r:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast