Whirlwind Ordnance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

How many missiles can you actually fire. I was told it was two max, but the rule book mentions nothing of this, so is it just one?

Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Only 1, it's heavy 1 ordnance .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Gah, that kinda sucks considering the thing has what? 10, 12 missiles....kinda defeats the point barrages if you can&#39;t fire of more than one.

Anywho Ta dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. I mean, it does get to use an ordanance template. If you want more barrages, simply buy another whirlwind. Makes perfect sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Toastee@Sep 27 2003, 16:37
    Gah, that kinda sucks considering the thing has what? 10, 12 missiles....kinda defeats the point barrages if you can&#39;t fire of more than one.

Anywho Ta dude.
    Well that&#39;s kindove a fluff issue, isn&#39;t it? You can just assume that it launches several missiles in each barrage, but they all strike in one place thus the large ordinance blast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x8)

Wulfenbach: Not if you need the points for other things. And then theres the money issue.

PapaBear: Im not just assuming. I know in 2nd Ed you could fire more than one, which was more of a realisic thing...as once you were out of ammo, you couldn&#39;t fire anymore, and it was still guess range. Thats how we played it anyway.

Also it seems I&#39;ve forgotten how big the blast template is...I dont play too often so you&#39;ll have to forgive me if my rules seem off.
    But even then, lots of small blasts dont really make one big one.
    Also IF assuming that it does fire off more than one, to make a bigger blast, not every missile will follow the path of the first. (Scatter dice.) It just seems to me that its more real for it to be able to fire off more than one.

A possible change for 4th Ed maybe. I don&#39;t mean it should be able to fire off its entire armament, that would be overkill on the battle...but I do think it should be limited. Maybe 3 at most in one turn...maybe two.

It just seems to me that the model itself doesn&#39;t go with the game....but having said that, theres not been a re-design for the Whirlwind yet so ho knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not just assuming. I know in 2nd Ed you could fire more than one, which was more of a realisic thing...as once you were out of ammo, you couldn&#39;t fire anymore, and it was still guess range.
    I think you missed my point. There were lots of changes to firing from 2nd to 3rd edition to tone down ranged power, as I understand it, but I still think this can fall into the fluff category. (and you go so far as to refer to &#39;realism&#39;, so I guess you&#39;re worried about the fluff too).

Maybe you&#39;re right about the need for an ammo limit, but that seems a seperate issue to how many shots can be fired in a turn. My post was just a suggestion as to how you could explain away the extra missiles that seem to never get used in a battle. (and for the record, there&#39;s no reason to assume that multiple missiles would scatter in different directions. Even in our current age of weaponry we have rockets that can be fired accurately at range, and the term missile is generally reserved for even more accurate weapons. Also, the tau rail gun shoots a bunch of submunitions which affect the area of a single ordinance blast, so there are at least some blast weapons in 40k made up of multiple rounds exploding.

Also, you&#39;re thinking of the scatter dice as the result of machine error or weather interference, etc. I think. That is possible of course, but the new vehicle rules suggest that at least part of the scatter is the result of crew/operator error, which makes it more reasonable that their weaponry would "scatter" to the same place, because in fact they just missed, and targeted the wrong spot on the battlefield, but all of their shots still landed dead on. I&#39;m referring to the part of the new vehicle rules that remove player guessing in favor of increased weapon scatter via a extra d6 to the scatter range. (I don&#39;t like this rule, btw, it seems a poor alternative to me, and I always thought guess weapons were fun).

As I said, this is all just possible fluff to make you more at ease with the realism of the whirlwind, I don&#39;t claim it to be canon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x8)

I wasn&#39;t flaming you or anything dude, just making discussion Welcome to the forums BTW, I would have welcomed you in my last post, but meh it was early morning *grins* but welcome all the same.

Anywho..I haven&#39;t had the wonder of playing the new trial rules yet...a few members of our small gaming group have their thoughts on it. Plus the rest haven&#39;t really looked through them yet to even try them...as I said I dont play nearly as much as I can and like.

But in agreement of the losing of guess range weapons in favour of adding an extra d6. TBH, I dont think theres anything wrong with guess range weapons. IMO it makes the game more challenging, and of course as you said, it added to the fun.

Anywho. Cya around the boards dude&#33;

Toastee

Closed Thread