Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question about the rhino

3K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Digimon 
#1 ·
Ok im new to Warhammer and i know this is a dumb question. :oops:
If you have a tactical squad and you give it a rhino, does the rhino still count as a troop choice or not?

#2 ·
The rhino NEVER counts as a troops choice. It is bought as a transport for a squad, and never occupies a slot at the force organisation chart. Same counts for other transport vehicles (not for vehicles that have a transport capacity and can't be bought for a squad, eg falcon, land raider etc.)

#5 ·
NO!!! Don't use Razors unless you only use six man squads!

Personally, I'm a Rhino lover and I have one for each of my tactical squads! I do actually have a razor, but I think they are a waste of points since they only house six marines and their armour sux...

Rhino armour sux too but they don't cost as much as razors. As for weaponry, I believe that the main function of the rhino is to get your guys forward quickly. NOT blow things up! That's what devastator squads and predators are for.

IMHO

-Rob

#8 ·
It's all a question of what you want the transport to do. Decide what you want the transport to do on the battlefield (and what kind of squad it will carry and what the squad will do), then pick the transport that best fits your needs. Comparing the marine's different transport tanks to each other is pointless since they all have different roles.

#9 ·
LRSeriesIII is right.

Also, it all depends on your playing style. Personally, I play Vanilla Marines with an 'all out attack' tactic.

For example, my bike squadron is filled completely out (1 sarge, 2 special weapons bikers, 2 'regular' bikers and an attack bike). :twisted:

I also use a full ten man assault squad, and my commander (chaplain) is also mounted on a bike.

Because of my tactics I use rhinos to get my troops into battle quickly so that they don't get left behind.

#10 ·
True. As an Iron Warriors player mobility isn't my main concern, but I'm thinking of mounting 2 9 men squads in rhinos and move towards the enemy 1st turn while the rest of the army lays down covering fire. Turn 2 those 2 squads can than open fire with bolters and heavy bolters, and they'll probably be in rapid fire range for the bolters so that should hurt :p. Once the firebase there is set up other units (Lieutenant plus chosen) can move forward another part of the battlefield to gain control there.

#11 ·
You could use those rhinos and troops as a fixing force, holding your opponent's forces in one place while you blast them to bits with your big guns.

#14 ·
Hmm, if I want that thing I said to work I'd need another rhino, right now my Iron Warriors have only 2 and I'd ideally need 3. Shopping time :D.
Try not to sound too disappointed... 8)

#18 ·
Jump packs are for assault troops. Rhinos are for tac squads (and devastators sometimes). They serve two different purposes.

#22 ·
Personally I wouldn't put the rhino in front of the Devastators to block LoS :lol:...
I believe he means when you first jump out of the rhino. That's something I've done with tac squads if for some reason I have to drop the troops out within 12" of their intended target but outside 6" (say, because an overcharged engine blew) at the end of the movement phase. That way they're somewhat protected from the shooting before they can redeploy somewhere more favorable. I've also used rhinos to shield jump pack troops who can't make it all the way into hth. They hide behind the rhino for a turn before jumping into hth in the 2nd turn. I would imagine the same tactic would work for devastators in a rhino since they couldn't shoot the turn the dismounted. Next turn the rhino moves off and the devastators have a clear los. :twisted:

#24 ·
Come to think of it, that is probably why the ramp would be in the back of a rhino (that and an door armored enough to go on the front would make it a lot heavier...).

#25 ·
Ahh...

Come to think of it, that is probably why the ramp would be in the back of a rhino (that and an door armored enough to go on the front would make it a lot heavier...).

Now I get that part... :lol:

well, a friend of mine placed his ramp in front of the hull mounted bolters... (nice to let them suffer and block LOS for the rhino... =P)

#26 ·
Re: Ahh...

well, a friend of mine placed his ramp in front of the hull mounted bolters... (nice to let them suffer and block LOS for the rhino... =P)
LOL!...Actually this has always been my problem with the way most people assemble their land raiders: they put the sponsons behind the side ramps. If the troops are dismounting they would block the sponsons from firing to the front, whereas if they are in the front they will screen the troops...well, just my 2 cents...(especially since I have no where near the time to devote to the game to invest in a land raider...:( )

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.