Sentries - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sentries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Heres a question for you. Suppose I'm playing a game with the sentry rules, and I take some units of sniper scouts.

I shoot my sniper scouts at the sentries with some good rolls, I managed to kill all of them....

What happens?

Does the enemy army just 'not wake up'?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x8)

The way I read the Sentry rules, the defender still deploys his entire army as normal, all of which count as Sentries except cannot move. So if you take out the actual Sentries, you just begin your attack vs the rest of the army (the troops-acting-as-immobile-sentries part).

Page 204 of the BGB, second paragraph under the heading "Bodies" gives me this idea. Plus, all the Scenarios that I saw that used Sentries all stated that the defender STILL deploys his entire army at the beginning (under various methods). Nowhere did I see it said that if the defender has Sentries, he doesn't have the rest of his army on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

See the thing I was concerned about was 'until the alarm is raised, sentries move as described above and none of the defenders other units may move or fire'.

So 'until the alarm is raised' none of the units can do anything...what happens if the alarm is never raised what was baffling me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x8)

The rule states that defenders don't move or shoot until the alarm is raised, yes. But it also states that those immobile defenders count as Sentries in all ways (except moving or shooting). So therefore when you start to attack the defender's non-Sentry troops, they'll most likely detect you right off the get go.

If you somehow manage to remove all Sentries, but refrain from attacking the rest of the defender's force, you can basically move all the rest of your non-vehicle attackers onto the table without any retribution from the defender. But as soon as you get a vehicle, shoot with anything other than sniper rifles, assaulting-without-annihilating, or leaving bodies within sight of the other immobile defending units, the alarm is sounded as normal and they get to act as normal.

+ Reply to Thread