Aun'shi and falling back - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aun'shi and falling back

I have a question that popped up last weekend:

Aun'shi had joined a squad of FWs which were subsequently attacked by in melee by some Warp Spiders, a Wraithlord and a couple wraithguard. My squad had to fall back (even after the re-roll grrrr). My squad attempted to fall back, rolled I+d6 and rolled lower than him. The FW squad is (in 4th ed rules) therefore cut down and eliminated. Anyhow, here is the actual question: What happens to Aun'shi? Is he just eliminated along with the squad or does he make a seperate attempt to flee?

Thanks in advance.

~the machine god

{secretly the machine god plays Tau and CSM ...shhhh...don't tell the adepts!!!}

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mechanicus
    I have a question that popped up last weekend:

Aun'shi had joined a squad of FWs which were subsequently attacked by in melee by some Warp Spiders, a Wraithlord and a couple wraithguard. My squad had to fall back (even after the re-roll grrrr). My squad attempted to fall back, rolled I+d6 and rolled lower than him. The FW squad is (in 4th ed rules) therefore cut down and eliminated. Anyhow, here is the actual question: What happens to Aun'shi? Is he just eliminated along with the squad or does he make a seperate attempt to flee?

Thanks in advance.
    first this situatio is not possible, any unit lead by an ethereal becomes fearless, and second, any caracters that are part of the unit get broken as well.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

They get broken as well, but roll as a seperate unit on their own initiative I believe. Although as Wolf_Pack said in this case it couldn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I think you did this wrong. If Aun'Shi attaches to a unit, they become fearless and cannot be broken. If Aun'Shi was just hanging out with the FireWarriors, but wasn't actually attached when you were assaulted, then only he is fearless. Enemy units cannot pursue a broken enemy if they are still engaged in hand to hand with another unit (Aun'Shi), so your FireWarriors should have just run 2D6" away from combat and Aun'Shi takes hits based on the fearless/outnumbered in hand to hand rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I think I might have been a little misleading. Aun'Shi didn't actually *join* the unit, he just tagged along beside them and joined into the frey (close combat). I am sorry I didn't make that more clear.

1 )The FWs had to break, then they were destroyed by the Wraithguard (who were NOT in base contact nor fighting Aun'Shi. The Wraithguard made mincemeat out of my FWs and Aun'Shi swiped a couple of spiders afterwards.

2) Aun'Shi made a seperate roll and did not break, he remained in close combat with the Warp Spiders. [edit: It seems that I missed the fact that Aun'Shi is fearless. I knew he conveyed it onto any group he attached to, but I forgot that HE was. DOH!]

We *guessingly* ruled that Aun'Shi would make a seperate roll from the FW roll for breaking and running. I am under the assumption this is correct. Should I be happy with my assumption?
    ~the machine god

{secretly the machine god plays Tau and CSM ...shhhh...don't tell the adepts!!!}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Normally with independant characters, yes, you would take a leadership for your FireWarriors, and you independant character. However, since Aun'Shi is fearless, you only test for the FireWarriors, and then Aun'Shi takes hits based on how much he is outnumbered by.

Diagram edit:

I imagine your combat looked something like this:

W=Wraithguard
    S=WarpSpiders
    A=Aun'Shi
    F=Fire Warriors

WWWWWSSSSS
    _A___FFFFFFFFF

Since the Wraithguard are in combat with Aun'Shi and the FireWarriors, they can only pursue their enemy if both enemy squads break and run (Aun'Shi can't because he is fearless, so this isn't a possibility in this case).

Since the WarpSpiders are only in combat with the FireWarriors, they may pursue the FireWarriors if they break and run.

Since you lost the combat and Aun'Shi is fearless, he takes a certain number of hits based on by how much he is outnumbered.

Hope this cleared things up.
    Last edited by MobiusPrime; March 31st, 2005 at 19:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, this is more the way combat looked:

S = Warp Spider
    Wl = Wraithlord
    Wg = Wraithguard
    A = Aun'Shi
    F = Firewarrior

*NOTE* the Spiders are NOT touching nor within 2" of the Firewarriors, and similarily the Wraithguard/Lord are NOT touching Aun'Shi */NOTE*

________SSS__Wl_WgWg
    _________SSAFFFFFFWgWg
    _____________FFFFFFWgWg

Hope this helps you visualize it more
    ~the machine god

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that Aunshi would recieve 5 armour saves due to his fearless rule.

Fire warriors cut down, If WL or WG can't consolidate into CC with Aunshi they become disengaged.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe combat with multiple units works as:

To determine a winner, consider all wounds inflicted by all units for each side. Once you have a loser, each individual squad rolls a leadership test. Any units that fallback do so. Victorious units may sweeping advance if:
    a) They had models in base-to-base with the retreating unit after combat was resolved, and
    b) They are in close combat with only the retreating squad.

The way your diagram looks, it actually looks to me like it was 2 seperate close combats going on close to each other -- the ethereal is only in CC with the warpspiders since he isn't attached to the firewarriors, and the firewarriors are only in CC with the WL and WG. If you decided it was a single close combat though, it looks like the firewarriors would have retreated, but been caught in a sweeping advance by the Wraithlord and/or wraithguard. Your ethereal was fearless and since they lost the combat, he would have suffered 4 wounds (outnumbered 5:1 by the warp spiders, take 1 wound for 2:1, 2 for 3:1, etc...), which he could attempt to save against.
    Sithlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't say Aun'shi is fearless, only that the squad he joins becomes fearless. I'm pretty sure he just spurs them on to stay in the game, and so stays with them. He's not fearless himself. You'd have to be pretty unlucky for him to run though, since he's leadership 10 and can re-roll it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast