Tar Confusion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Tar Confusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently played a game using the TAR rules found in Chapter Approved 2003. During the game, my Kroot were assaulted by a Space Marine Librarian. Behind my Kroot stood a Squad of Fire Warriors, who were not part of any close combat. The Fire Warriorswere within 1 inch of the assaulted Kroot. My opponent claimed that the Fire Warriors were now a part of the combat, and could be killed by the Space Marine and attack him in return. His reasoning was that TAR says that alll friendly models within 2 inches can be removed as casualties, and are also supporting models. I felt that even though TAR never said that this only applied to engaged models only, it was not meant to trap every unit withing 2 inches of a close combat in that close combat. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

There is the "Didn't make it?" rule which says that units which have been charged but are not locked are not involved in any way in that close combat.

It's very clear that units which do not count as locked aren't affected by a near close combat.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ArchonAstaroth@Oct 10 2003, 15:14
    There is the "Didn't make it?" rule which says that units which have been charged but are not locked are not involved in any way in that close combat.

It's very clear that units which do not count as locked aren't affected by a near close combat.

jwu
    I agree, your opponent was incorrect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help, everyone. I agree that units which are not locked are not in any way a part of a close combat. My problem is that I can not find a rule that explicitly states this, and so have to fall back on "the spirit of the rule" arguement. Does anybody know where I could find a clear rule that are non locked units aren't part of a close combat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is stated very clearly in the TAR if I recall correctly. I'll check for a quote though, just to be sure.. *fumbles through pdf and mutters*

Ok, the last 2 paragraphs of step 2, before the "terrain effects" are listed are pertinent to your situation:

In all cases models may not move through friendly or enemy models and may not pass through gaps narrower than their base diameter. You may not come within 1� of enemy models they have not declared a charge against.

Enemy units that have been charged but have not been contacted are not considered to be Engaged and are not involved in the combat in any way.
    So, if he tried to charge the Firewarriors as well, (he was actually just one model right? So that's impossible I think.), but failed to make base contact with them, then they're not engaged.

Furthermore, the librarian can't move through your defensive kroot to engage the firewarriors unless you left him room between them *and* he can reach them. In fact, the librarian shouldn't even be allowed to come within 1" of the firewarriors. (though that seems like a loophole/error in the rules, and should probably be ignored in this case)

Next time you have such an issue, go download the TAR from the GW website. (or through chapter approved/white dwarf, I know you can find em at one of the three). They're quite clear in this case, and I think you could've settled the matter yourself without the hassle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all,

Thanks for the input

Closed Thread