Hovering Things - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Hovering Things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, lets say i have a Destroyer, and my friend is shooting it, and it just hits the clear base it sits on...now, would this count as a hit, or wouldnt it? also, when shooting, my friend says you measure from the middle of the base, and if you are assulting you measure from the front of the base...just a little help would be nice :lol:

ps: i know rulebooks are my friend but money is also my friend...so...you get the picture :lol:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really think you should own the 40k rulebook if you wanna play 40k. OTOH, Gw do charge too much, so I sympathize.

So, uh, when you play 40k you don't actually "shoot" anything in the physical sense, so I'm bewildered as to how any shots could "hit" the base. Though you have reminded me of some fun old games where you use rubber band powered catapults against each other...

Anyway, if what you mean is that the other player can only *see* the base, and thus he is only able to shoot *at* the base, well that doesn't count for anything.

Line of Sight is determined by the models themselves, not their stands/bases.

I do have some questions myself when it comes to flying models, and whether or not you can lower them legally. (it seems like skimmer models or other models that use stands are alot better off if you put them on nice low stands, or give them no stands at all, as they can take cover behind smaller obstacles then.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as for your second range either way is fine as long is there is consitancy (i.e. when moving measuring from the back to the back or middle to middle ect) When it comes to shooting usually from the center of the base is best, unless its something bigger (like a tank) then measure from the gun its self.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by PapaBear@Oct 10 2003, 21:54

So, uh, when you play 40k you don't actually "shoot" anything in the physical sense, so I'm bewildered as to how any shots could "hit" the base.

Anyway, if what you mean is that the other player can only *see* the base, and thus he is only able to shoot *at* the base, well that doesn't count for anything.

Line of Sight is determined by the models themselves, not their stands/bases.

I do have some questions myself when it comes to flying models, and whether or not you can lower them legally. (it seems like skimmer models or other models that use stands are alot better off if you put them on nice low stands, or give them no stands at all, as they can take cover behind smaller obstacles then.)
    I think in this case he's referring to Measurement not LOS, and in this case yes it's legal (at least how I and my friends play) You measure base to base for skimmers.

As for lowering the stands, I don't see much difficulty here as "skimmers" seem to fall into 2 categories: Bikes and vehicles.

Bikes can be screened, and vehicles can't.

I.E. you can screen a DE Talos but not a SM Landspeeder.

(In my experience any skimmer with an armor SAVE is a "bike" while one with an Armor VALUE is a vehicle)

As for post height, it is assumed that any semi-intelligent pilot would increase or decrease his (her) height according to what is most tactically sound at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So.... Does that mean that when you are trying to determine LOS to some landspeeders, (vehicles), you assume that they're always at model height rather than model+stand, i.e. if they're behind something tall enough to block the model alone then they're blocked?

Similarly, how do you draw the LOS from the speeders when they're shooting?

It's in those scenarios that I thought stand height would make a difference, though how I'm not sure, it wouldn't be very fair for them to be able to make "pop up" attacks, after all the eldar have to pay extra for such priveleges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is determined By you and your opponent BEFORE the game, as in "this Ruined Building Blocks LOS, but this ruined building only gives cover (hull down)."

As for determining LOS FROM a vehicle, you measure from the end of the weapon being fired on the vehicle (I would say at current base height, this being the "average" height)....... if it passes through a non-LOS piece of terrain (or another vehicle, enemy unit, etc.), then no LOS.

The thing to remember is that Speed and ease of play is the deciding factor, if you and your opponent can't agree beforehand or have an argument in the middle of the game, then roll a die and sort it out afterwards when the tension isn't likely to be as high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds good, thanks.

I was just wondering if there were official (but unknown by me) or unspoken rules with hovering things. Working it out with my opponnent is just as good though really.

Closed Thread