Q On Los And Ordinance Rule - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q1:

I just played a game with my IG vs Tau where i put 3 basillisks, then 5 sentinals, then 10 ogryns, then a command HQ and 2 conscript squads in front of each other in that order. I was just wonder since the sentinals would block LOS to the basillisks, then the ogryns would block LOS to the sentinals, then the HQ and conscripts would block LOS to the ogryns, if the tau's weapons would have to cut through all the conscripts, the ogys, then sentinals to get to my bassilisks at the very back because the conscripts would block LOS to the ogy's (for the Tau's LOS) and then the ogy's would block LOS to the sentinals, etc.

Bassilksentinalsgys: HQ:Conscripts <------tau&#39;s line of fire TAU

Q2:

On that same battle, my friend said that in order for my bassilisk to even place the blast marker, they had to roll a D6 to see if it hits (like firing a bolter or lasgun) then I would have to place the oranance marker, and scatter, etc.

Q3:

Can weapons with Heavy on them fire from sentinals and/or tanks (i.e. heavy 3) when thy&#39;ve moved? Like a LR moving 6" then shooting its bolter or a sentinal moving 6" and shooting a multilazer or lascannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A1:

Your men do not block their own line of site. like in ur example your ogyrns can shoots at the tau at that position if they are in range, bla bla bla. Bottom line, freindly units do not block your line of site (they duck lay down what ever)

A2:

Yes, you have to roll to hit, then see if it scatters

A3:

NOt sure of this one, but i would say that if the vehicle moved a certain amount, then it can shoot one weapon i think. i am not really sure though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

umm, you kinda misunderstood my question for question 1. I was asking if the Tau had to shoot through all my conscripts, then my ogys, then sentinals, etc. before they could get to my bassilisks. Not my men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i will try to answer them.

Q1 the line of sight should be blocked but i am not 100% sure that vehicles can be blocked by infantry.

Q2 i thought you just placed the template and then rolled to scatter but didnt roll to hit.

Q3 it is different for different vehicle types. i.e fast look in the rulebook it says how many weapons they can fire when they move a certain distance
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Ino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A1:

Yes, they would probably block line of site, but at my gaming group we usually play that only vehicles block line of sight to vehicles. I am not sure, but look it up in the BBB.

A2:

No. Your friend is wrong, and so is the previous A2 (sorry, dude ). When you fire ordnance, you pick the location where you want it to hit within range. You then measure to make sure it is within range. If it is within range, you roll a scatter die and a D6. If it is not within range, the shot is lost.

A3:

Check the BBB. I believe walkers can move up to 6" (and no more) and fire up to 2 weapons, which for a sentinel is all of them.
    The Good News is here&#33;

Check it out:
    <a href='http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&passage=Ezekiel+18%3A28-32&version=NIV' target='_blank'>Ezekiel 18:28-32</a>
    <a href='http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&version=NIV&passage=Ezekiel+33%3A11' target='_blank'>Ezekiel 33:11</a>
    <a href='http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&version=NIV&passage=Mark+1%3A15' target='_blank'>Mark 1:15</a>
    <a href='http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&version=NIV&passage=Romans+10%3A9-10' target='_blank'>Romans 10:9-10</a>

PM me for more info&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by TheCaptain@Oct 11 2003, 21:42
    if the tau&#39;s weapons would have to cut through all the conscripts, the ogys, then sentinals to get to my bassilisks at the very back because the conscripts would block LOS to the ogy&#39;s (for the Tau&#39;s LOS) and then the ogy&#39;s would block LOS to the sentinals, etc..

to anyone whos gonna answer: read the above.

Anyways, thanks Ino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For question 1:

Infantry block LOS to other infantry up to twice their size.
    Infantry do not, ever, block LOS to vehicles.
    Vehicles always block LOS for anything.

So... if the Tau want to shoot your command HQ or ogryns or whatever infantry is in the back, the ones in the front must die first. Note that some people play that infantry only block LOS if they&#39;re in base to base contact, (i.e. you&#39;d have to have your conscripts in a solid wall with contact between bases, for them to block LOS to infantry behind them). I think that is actually the official GW ruling, but that isn&#39;t expressly stated in the rulebook, so it&#39;s up to you and your opponent there.

If sentinels are vehicles, (I&#39;m not sure, but it sounds like they are), then they can be shot by the Tau regardless of the infantry in front of them.

So, in your example, if the Tau want to shoot the basilisks, they&#39;d have to be able to draw LOS to them without being blocked by any sentinels. Vehicles aren&#39;t like infantry though, only their actual physical presence blocks LOS. So if you have sentinels near the basilisks, but the Tau troops can still see a clear line to the basilisk, then they can shoot it anyway. (what constitutes a clear line must again be decided between you and your opponent I think)

question 2:

In the new Trial Vehicle rules:
    Ordinance weapons that move and fire must roll for their BS before doing the whole scatter thing. Stationary ordinance just does the scatter die+d6.

Guess weapons roll scatter die+1d6 if the target can be seen, or scatter die+2d6 if the target can&#39;t be seen.

Question 3:

Walkers can move up to 6" and fire 2 weapons, or fire all weapons when stationary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clear things up, the sentinals are walkers that are more than half the height of the basillisk. So basically, if the tau wanted to shoot my bassilisks, the they would have to (i assume) cut through my sentinals first, and not all the infantry (though is it possible that the ogy&#39;s could stop LOS because their more than half the height to the sentinals)and then get to my bassilisk.

B B B
    SSSSSSS
    OOOOOOO
    HQ
    CCCCCCCCCC

B = bassilisk
    S = sentinal
    O = Ogryn
    Hq = HQ
    C = Conscript

Thats basically what my army looked like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK this is the official rules on LOS from the Q&A. remember tha GW never seems to be able to answer ANYTHING clearly most ofthe time.

Infantry NEVER block LOS to Vehicles, and VEHICLES ALWAYS block LOS to anything, including other Vehicles. So you enemy would have to shoot down your sentinels to shoot at your basilisks. Note that as the rules are stated, a Land speeder could block LOS to a MONOLITH in this way..... but i think most intelligent players would just agree on hull down in this case.

In order to screen another unit, infantry must be placed so that the enemy can&#39;t draw a LOS between the bases. Most people accomplish this by lining up their troops side by side in Base to base contact.... however the same effect can be had by placing 3 rows of models staggered like a chess board. (In the Q&A it also says something about having to be in base to base to screen another unit, hence my statement about GW&#39;s clarity)

No you DON&#39;T have to roll for Ordinance to see if it hits as stated previously, however unless stated in the weapon profile (usually as being indirect fire), you DO need LOS, so the sentinels block NORMAL fire from the basilisks. (I dunno if the Bassilisk have indirect fire)

Q3 has been answered already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LordHat@Oct 12 2003, 170

Infantry NEVER block LOS to Vehicles, and VEHICLES ALWAYS block LOS to anything, including other Vehicles. So you enemy would have to shoot down your sentinels to shoot at your basilisks. Note that as the rules are stated, a Land speeder could block LOS to a MONOLITH in this way..... but i think most intelligent players would just agree on hull down in this case.
    Hehe, lots of answers to this question.

Anyway, @lordhat:
    I think you&#39;re misinterpreting the "vehicles always block LOS" rule when you suggest that speeders could block LOS to a monolith. I know you said that most people don&#39;t play that way, but the rules don&#39;t even suggest that you might, as I read them.

When the rulebook says that "all vehicles" block LOS, it is simply making the distinction that both friendly and enemy vehicles block LOS. It isn&#39;t saying that a landspeeder in the vicinity of a monolith automatically blocks LOS. (as infantry might for other infantry, their bases and 2x height factors applying)

That&#39;s why I pointed out in my first post that only the physical presence of the vehicle blocks LOS, so in the case of the monolith, you would almost always be able to see around the speeder anyway, so you can target the monolith.

You may&#39;ve already assumed this, but I wanted to clarify how I think the rules work.

Closed Thread