Skimmer Rule - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer Rule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiya! So, right now I'm playin' a small game with a friend. Anyway, he's usin' Necrons, and was usin' a standin for a Monolith to check how it was and all. Anyway, a Monolith is a skimmer. Well, unfortunatley, my copy of the rule book is way away in a far off land .. soo.

He started talkin' 'bout the Skimmer Rule, and havin' to roll a 6 to hit if it moves its full distance. Is that true? It didn't make much sense to me, since the Monolith is such a big, big thing .. ya' know?

So, anyway, is there a rule that applies to Skimmers? Thanks in advance. Wish me luck&#33; >_< Right now, I&#39;m tryin&#39; to phase out his warriors, but all I have left is my heavy support squads. -_- Bah I hate Necrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allrighty, I&#39;m not 100% sure on this, but I think I&#39;ve got it:

-- Tell your friend to read the rulebook more closely as well as his codex, because:

1) Skimmers Moving Fast - Skimmers that move MORE THAN 6" treat penetrating hits as glancing hits. Luckily for you, the Monolith can only move up to 6" and therefore would not get the benefit of this rule. When shooting at it, you use your normal BS and all the rules of the monolith apply.

2) The 6&#39;s to hit rule is for assault skimmers in close combat. As in, if your troops assault his monolith, they would need 6&#39;s to hit it if it hasn&#39;t been immobilized. If it has been immobilized in some way, it will sink to the ground and all cc attacks will automatically hit it.

Heh, I myself am a Necron player, and I sympathize with you &#39;Crons can be quite stubborn sometimes At any rate, good luck, hope you enjoy the game. And smack yer friend upside the head with the rulebook once, for me

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, thanks a lot&#33; ^_^ I wasted a few good lasbolts on that freakin&#39; thing. -_-; Bah. Ah&#39; well, it was a fun game anyway. So, anyway, my friend wanted me to ask you if you use a Monolith.

He&#39;s in this big debate right now if he should own one. I myself use Chaos, and don&#39;t have to worry about such feeble things&#33; Haha&#33; Anyway, ^_^ do you? o.o I think he&#39;s looking at the point cost, and wondering if it&#39;s worth it. &#39;somethin&#39; &#39;bout bein&#39; able to field another squad of somethin&#39; in the place of it&#39;s 200-something points.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a problem, glad to hear it was a good game. Heh, you had the write idea though, about only shooting at his warrior squads. The quicker you can get him to phase out, the better. That&#39;s the key to beating Crons. Heh, you should read my post on Necron weaknesses, see if it&#39;ll help ya bone up on yer tactics against them

http://www.librarium-online.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=3141

Be sure to post if you get an opportunity

Heh heh, do I have a monolith? My friend I have 2 I&#39;ve got over 4000+ points in crons. I say they&#39;re worth it, but you have to figure out when it&#39;s best to use em. For instance, I&#39;m cautious about using one in games that are below 1500 points. The truth is, the monolith is definitely worth it for the amount of points it costs. But who knows, he might wanna field that other squad of whatever (What squad was he talking about, anyway?) Heh, other than that, feel free to ask me any more questions about em?

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again. ^_^ Yeah, he said he wanted to field some more Heavy Destroyers or Normal Destroyers instead. We were only playing a light 1k game, though. He cut through my guys pretty quickly, since I rely pretty heavily on Khornes for 1k games and less.

I&#39;ll be sure to post on your weakness thing. I can take all the help I can get&#33; -_- Jeez, I have not beaten him once yet. But, then again, I&#39;m just beggining with my Chaos. I did get closer than ever before on beatin&#39; &#39;im, though. If I didn&#39;t waste so much time on that stupid misunderstanding of the skimmer rule, I would&#39;ve probably done much better.

And as for questions, I&#39;ll probably have a ton for you as soon as I can think of &#39;em. Heh. Thanks for responding, again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m not a necron player, but monoliths are pretty awesome for their points. The only reason a necron player hesitates to use them, as far as I know, is because they don&#39;t count as "necrons" for phase out. Other than that though, they&#39;re cheaper than land raiders I think, and more useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, neato. Destroyers are prolly some of the best units out of all the units in every army O_O Heh, you might wanna make sure that he&#39;s got his rules down and that you&#39;ve got yours. It seems rather suspicious that he cuts yer guys down that badly. You&#39;re playing Chaos Space Marines right? And they&#39;ve got 3+ saves, yeah? Doesn&#39;t seem to gel. Heh, I could be wrong, but you never know. I just say keep it tightened up from a rules perspective and see what goes down Out

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m always reading his codex, lookin&#39; for gaps and stuff. >_< Like, the time I found out that twice the toughness will negate We&#39;ll Be Back. Bah, what does he do? Res&#39; Orb&#33; >_< But, basically, I rely on my Khornes -- two squads of eight. Soon as they get cut down, all that is left is my line of heavy support. A few las cannons, some Oblits, a Havoc Squad. I need some support for my Khornes.

Today I rushed into the store, saw a Defiler and freaked. &#39;bought that without thinkin&#39; of anythin&#39; else. But, while the Battle Cannon is alright, it didn&#39;t take him long to get a Weapon Destroyed. >_< Gauss(is that right? o.o) weapons glance on a six no matter what, right?

I think I read that in his codex once, but I thought I&#39;d ask, ya&#39; know? >_< it kinda sucks that a squad of warriors could take out, like, a Land Raider or somethin&#39;.

^_^ Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aye, if a weapons strength is twice the toughness of the Cron&#39;s being shot at, they go boom without a WBB, unless there&#39;s a lord within 6" that&#39;s got a res orb. Heh, or you can try and get into close combat with him, if any of yer dudes are skilled at that. Close combat weapons that ignore armor saves negate his WBB roll, unless there&#39;s a res orb. But, if you can somehow manage to take out his Lord, then goodbye Res Orb =D Granted, the lord still gets to make a wbb roll even if he is downed.

Heh heh, that doth sucketh the big one that he took down yer defiler like that. But yeah, Crons use their normal BS to see if they hit a vehicle, then if they do, they roll again for Armor Penetration. If they roll a 6, it counts as a Glancing Hit, then you roll the damage on the Glancing Hit Table. Hehe, I wouldn&#39;t be too discouraged though, that&#39;s a big advantage that the Crons have, and I dunno about him, but I rarely ever get a glancing hits with my dudes =( Boo&#33;

Hell I just say concentrate on his warrior squads. Cause if you destroy and entire squad, and there&#39;s not a same-type model within 6", those dudes don&#39;t get a wbb roll, even if there&#39;s a Res Orb around (The Res Orb only works to negate Double-Strength weapons and CC Ignore Armor Weapons). Heh, so there ya go

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The official Skimmer rule out of the rulebook states that you ALWAYS need a 6 to hit a skimmer in CC REGARDLESS of how far it moved. The reasoning being that the pilot (or machine spirit or whatever it is that pilots a &#39;Lith) would see an assault coming and try to increase his height accordingly. Of course they don&#39;t always make it out of reach hence the (albeit small) chance to get hit.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast