Close combat Initiative steps - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close combat Initiative steps

Hi there,

My question is about close combat. I played a small game recently where my imperial guard faced up to the space marines. The enemy assault force got to my lines but i killed all but a librarian with rapid fire, excellent stuff.

But the he charged me, and it all went wrong. The problem was that he would charge, get into contact with two or three models, and kill them all. This meant that all the other guardsmen couldn't use their attacks because none of their squad remained in close combat.

What is really supposed to happen when all the models in base to base are killed, are those remaining (with lower initiative) still engaged in h2h but not allowed to use their attacks, even though they were within 2" of a model in base to base contact?

Many Thanks

Last edited by elecmonk; April 13th, 2005 at 02:01. Reason: Vague title

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by elecmonk
    What is really supposed to happen when all the models in base to base are killed, are those remaining (with lower initiative) still engaged in h2h but not allowed to use their attacks, even though they were within 2" of a model in base to base contact?
    If the model they were within 2" of is killed before its initiative, they are no longer engaged and may therefore not attack.

EDIT: Please note, however, that you do not have to take casualties from models in base-to-base contact unless you have no choice. As long as you can maintain coherency you may remove models that were engaged, but not in base-to-base contact.
    Last edited by Ostsol; April 13th, 2005 at 02:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ostol is correct.

For example (pure hypothetical #'s):

Librarian charges a group of 10 IG.
    He gets in btb with 2, and there are 2 more within 2" of those 2 models in btb.
    Librarian attacks at I 5 with 5 attacks (on the charge)

1) He hits and wounds 4 times.
    The defending player removes 4 models as casualties. The remaining models are outside of 2" of a model in btb, so cannot attack back.

2) He hits and wounds 3 times.
    The defending player gets to choose which of the models to remove. There are 4 models that could be removed, 2 in btb and 2 within 2". If the defending player removes both of the models in btb, then none of his models will get to fight back. If he removes one of the btb models, and the 2 models in 2", then the single model in btb will get to attack on its initiative.

3) He hits and wounds 2 times.
    Same as #2 above. If the defender removes both models in btb, then the 2 other models wont be able to strike back.

As long as a model remains in btb with the enemy, then on their I that btb model and any friendly model in 2" of him can attack. Thus, it is quite possible that an IC (who usually have a lot of A) can charge in, hit, and wound all the models in btb and within 2", therefore not suffering any return attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Thanks very much
    I thought you had to remove models in btb first y'see, this will help immensely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, make sure that he gets all models that are able to be in BtB into BtB (instead of having a single guy up front in BtB with you and then putting the rest of his squad inside the two inch kill zone. (I knew an eldar player who would do that as a "safety" precaution against powerfists)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can removes casualites from any engage unit that means anything within 2 of btb of your figure as long as you maintain coherency. So you can take models from the back as long as they are in range p41 under sufffering wounds in the little blue book.
    So a nasty tactics would be take the ones in btb and combat is over and hope to fail your morale then you can fall back and all he can do is consolidate. Then on your turn you can blast him. Under sweeping advance p43 second paragraph in the little blue book . I hope that helps.
    Bonekrusher

+ Reply to Thread