Necron Wbb Roll Clarification - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok... just lost to some necrons so I wanna make sure he wasn't pullin anything cheap on me...

Ok, there is a unit of 10 necron warriors. They are streched across, so they span about 20"... I shoot at the unit and damage about 5 of them. He allocates wounds to them starting at one end of the unit and allocating them to models down the formation, also, there is a necron lord standing at the far end of the models that are alive.(x=damaged O=normal lord=F, before O O O O O O O O O O F, after,
    X X X X X O O O O O F). My question is, assuming that there are no other units of necron warriors nearby, do the warriors that are further than 6" away from standing warriors make a WBB roll?

My belief, no, they cannot, since there is no standing warrior within 6"

His reasoning, the codex says any model of the same type, does not specify the status of that model (as in standing or wounded).

Obviously, I would like to know the answer....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, since you can technically take the WBB rolls in any order, you can roll the closer ones first and make a "chain" that stretches across... personally I love to exploit the rules loophole that says you can leave un self-repairable Necrons on the field until a Lord with a Res Orb gets with 6". Read the rules carefully- you CAN do this. They don't get removed until you fail a WBB roll, so if you have a Res Orb lord or Tomb Spyder, they're not out.
    Si em, tow en can de lach.
    Tak! Tak! Tak ah wan, Tak a lah!
    Mi tow, can de lach.
    Mi him, en tow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Deciever@Oct 19 2003, 219
    leave un self-repairable Necrons on the field until a Lord with a Res Orb gets with 6". Read the rules carefully- you CAN do this. They don't get removed until you fail a WBB roll, so if you have a Res Orb lord or Tomb Spyder, they're not out.
    Are you sure about this.... any Q&A or FAQ about this.

ha ha... Is this real can anyone confirm this.

What does your opponent say when you explain this out then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, it does say to leave them, so I maintain that I don't have to remove them until WBB has been taken and failed.
    Mi tow, can de lach.
    Mi him, en tow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, I had to think about this one for a little bit. Here's what I've come up with:

Deceiver brings up an interesting point that I hadn't noticed before. However, I'm still not sure if this is completely legit. Reading the rules one way yields his reasoning which actually makes sense. Reading them the other way, one assumes that they must attempt to self-repair the turn after they were destroyed and if they don't or can't, too bad, they die. That's been the way we've always thought of it when we played. This way, if an entire squad of warriors gets shot down and there's not another squad within 6" (or a Tomb Spyder if you're using its special rules) then that squad dies and is removed. Heh, we play this way because think about it, if Necrons are always down until someone swings by to pick them back up, you could potentially not lose a single model =/ I think allowing them to die like that keeps things fair. However, this certainly is a question for Games Workshop's Roolz Boyz. This would need some HEAVY clarification.

To answer your original question Alucard, the way we understood and played it is that a downed model must be within 6" of a model that is still standing, BUT, if there are still part of a squad that has standing models then they can still make WBB attempts. The reason for this relates to the stuff I said above where if an entire squad of necrons dies, and there's nothing else around to help their WBB rolls, then they die. But I sure as hell see where all the confusion is coming from. I must admit that I'm still a bit confused after reading this post; helluva good question.

The rules say that a model cannot self-repair unless another model of the same type is within 6". In one of the online FAQ's they state that downed models count as casualities for the time being, and thus wouldn't be able to help other downed necrons self-repair. But in order to balance this, we've always played it where if a squad has standing necrons, then they're good to go. *shrugs* I certainly like to hear others feedback on this as this seems fairly important.

Heh, and tell your friend to 1) put the lord behind the line, right in the center and 2) remove casualities from the ends of the lines instead of starting at one end and moving on That way, he'll be sure to get his WBB, no questions asked That's about it, let's hear it.

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deciever, you are quite wrong, as stated in the Necron QnA on gws site (http://www.gamesworkshop.com/40kuniv...QAver2.DOC.pdf) Page 2 4th questian on the page. (relvant info is in bolded)
    "Q. If Necrons fail their WBB roll are they removed or do they remain there to try again next move?

A.When a Necron has failed a WBB roll or is ineligable to take one at the start of the necron turn it is deemed to be destroyed and to be removed, unless you intend to use the monolith portal to teleport the squad during the current move..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/me nods

Yep, quite right, I knew that was written somewhere

Additionally, the way your friend took down his Necrons, the dudes toward the end would not get WBB rolls as there was not a similar, standing model within 6". The way I mentioned that we've played is simply among my friends and I. Heh, it's to keep things a tad fair

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@timbo: Well, it's your house rule, so you're welcome to it, but it doesn't seem like the fair way to do things to me.

The 6" rule is important as it forces necrons to stay bunched together in a unit, thus making them more vulnerable to template weapons, and preventing them from providing that 6" sphere of WBB rolls to other units.

By choosing to spread a unit so thinly as they did in this case, the necron player is gaining the value of spreading that 6" range around, so other necron warriors nearby can make their rolls. I think some penalty should be included for that maneuver, and I think the 6" within that unit is *it*.

Like I said, you're welcome to your own house rules, , I just wanted to explain why I thought the 6" was important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Papabear: I appreciate the sportsmanship =D Not all too often we see that kinda behavior 'round these parts

Heh, but in all honesty, I think 1) it isn't a house rule and 2) even if it was, we aren't welcome to it Reasons being because as it states in the FAQ, if a Necron is ineligable to take a WBB roll at the start of the necron turn, they count as destroyed and are removed. Heh, that to me says all necrons must attempt a wbb the turn after they were destroyed, when the Necron player starts his/her turn. If they can't, too bad Heh, I'm actually rather glad GW made this clarification as I think it'd be ridiculously lame for a Necron player to be able to potentially save all of his models just because they're not within 6" of other models at the time. To me, it's just a lame way to powerplay, which ain't kocher in my book

And yeah, I sure as hell spread my units out, but I'm also smart about who dies when I choose casualities (as it seems Alucard's friend wasn't ) I make sure to choose casualities so every model is within 6" of a similar model that's still in action. That way, there's no confusion about their WBB status Hurrah! But once again, thanks for the heads up dude.

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darn! I thought I had found a loophole. At least I never actually used this rule in a tourny... I hate it when I cheat, even by accident...
    Mi tow, can de lach.
    Mi him, en tow.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast