Shooting the closest target - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting the closest target

Say I want to shoot at a Basilisk which is 40" away (I do not know this, of course), out of my Dark Lances range. The Basilisk is not the closest target. I roll a leadership test and fail, causing me to only be able to shoot at the closest target. Do I still get to fire on the closest unit, even though the Basilisk was out of range?

"One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" -Stalin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way i understand the rules you want to shoot at something thats not the closest target you roll leadership, if you fail that then you have to shoot at the closest... now mesure if that target is in range....i wouldn't matter if the unit you are not shooting at is out of range only the one you are shooting at..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, but if you passed the test and the target is out of range you cannot shoot at the closer target...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the initial target was out of range and you fail your leadership then you can shoot at the closest target as it is in range.
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Remember - you declare targets before checking range. If you're not firing at the nearest target, make your leadership check. If you fail, you can't fire at anything but the nearest target in Line of Sight. Then you check for LoS and range.

Also, though I realize it's not relevant to your question, the Basilisk is a large target, therefore you can always shoot at it without having to make the leadership check, so long as there aren't any other large targets closer than the Basilisk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Actualy Caluin, you do not have to take a leadership test for multiple large targets like you do for not shooting at the closest small target. Very good that it took only four people to realise that the question involved a larget target... :cool:

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever
    Actualy Caluin, you do not have to take a leadership test for multiple large targets like you do for not shooting at the closest small target.
    Um, yeah you do. P.19 BGB paragraph at the bottom of the page. You can always ignore small targets to shoot at large targets, but you have to test to shoot at other than the closest large target if you are shooting at large targets.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Now that makes no sense, and now just a thought: Why are tanks classified as large targets? Shouldnt they be classified as tanks?

(It's real funny when you think about it. A tank is a large target, but its larger then large targets so shouldnt it be classified differently... :cool: )

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

True. . . By the same token, mid-sized Tyranids should be in a size class of their own. *shrugs* GW's goal was simplicity, though.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

There seems to be a ton of confusion on this topic when its pretty simple

1) Remember there is no "small targets" rule.. If there is a large target that you cannot damage and it is the closest model you must pass a leadership test to shoot anything beyond it

2) As Helotaxi said you can nominate you are targetting large targets only but still must pass LD to shoot anything but the closest

3) Other large targets may shoot whatever they want, without a LD test

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast