Skimmers Moving Fast and ordnance weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skimmers Moving Fast and ordnance weapons

if i were to shoot my leman russ's battle cannon (ordnance weapon) at my friends falcon, which has moved 15 inches (skimmer moving fast) would the result be downgraded from ordnance penetrating to penetrating or glancing? im baffled, anyone else got a clue?
    Oh, also, would i still get my 2 dice (and pick the higher one) for armor penetration? i cant see why not but if anyone has a more clear understanding then dont hesitate to correct me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

if i were to shoot my leman russ's battle cannon (ordnance weapon) at my friends falcon, which has moved 15 inches (skimmer moving fast) would the result be downgraded from ordnance penetrating to penetrating or glancing? im baffled, anyone else got a clue?
    Yes, an ordance penetrating hit did beat the armour value of that skimmer and thus fulfils what the skimmers moving fast rules require to downgrade the hit to an ordinary glance.

Oh, also, would i still get my 2 dice (and pick the higher one) for armor penetration? i cant see why not but if anyone has a more clear understanding then dont hesitate to correct me.
    You're right there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allright thanks for the clarification. another question concerning skimmers: for the LoS of the skimmer itself, does it consider intervening terrain or does it just float up above it? i cant find anything on this in the BGB, only that it MOVES over all terrain, nothing about LoS.
    Last edited by Ramble On; October 13th, 2005 at 04:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

If you didn't find anything in the rulebook then it follows normal rules

Skimmers have LoS blocked like every other vehicle in the game. The only difference is skimmers do not block LoS

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Keep in mind that skimmers are size 3 like all vehicles, so they can see over any size 2 infantry or terrain.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Another note is that a skimmer has the option of hovering over terrain instead of going through it. So if you park your skimmer over level 2 terrain it becomes a level 5 (2 + 3) for LOS purposes. It should be able to see and be seen by almost everything on the board.

I have a question though. I have seen "landing gear" discussed in the forums. Is this a valid upgrade for a vehicle to allow it to land and ignore immobilized results (still immobilized but not destroyed as normal skimmer)? If this is allowed, I would assume a skimmer that has landed would block LOS normally.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

What the in the world are you talking about? Can we *please* stop posting bogus rules? Again, that is completely unsupported by the rules

1. Skimmers do not have the option, they *ignore* terrain and may not move through it.
    2. Wtf? You never add heights together. A skimmer ignores terrain it is ontop of, the vehicle is STILL size 3 and STILL cannot see over other size 3 objects
    3. Only tau vehicles have landing gear, and yes it turns them into a normal vehicle but it is totally useless

I apologize for being a bit harsh but it is one thing to get rules wrong. It is something very different to just make up rules and thus spread false information to all the players

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Lord Creampuff, the rule you are thinking of is for Jetbikes. They have the option to either enter Diff. Terrain (gaining cover bonuses, suffering a dangerous terrain test) or "hovering over" it (not taking dangerous terrain, not gaining cover saves). Skimmers may never enter difficult terrain and are thus always considered to hover over it. They remain size 3 though, and there is no bonus for LoS. Change in size status would only happen to smaller models. Size 2 models ontop of a size 3 hill would be considered size 3 for LoS purposes (size 2 terrain would not block line of site to them nor would it block their LoS)
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

The only time a skimmer will get hight bonuses is in a cityfight or some game where you classify some terrain or vehicles as size 4. In this case a skimmer(or any model or vehicle for that matter) could see over size 3 objects if it is hovering at the size 4 level of terrain, but I think would be subject to the cityfight style of line of sight from buildings.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

You know, this is a forum for everyone to get a better understanding of the rules. I apologize for mixing up the skimmer and the jetbike rules. I also apologize for mixing up the cityfight and standard 40k rules. It happens all the time, especially with the myriad of rulebook revisions, codexes, FAQs, and other GW references.

I would like to thank both Gojiratoho and Ebon Hand for clarifying the situation without the need for an emotional outburst.

So, as you can see Kirasu I only confused a few rules. There is no need to get your panties all in a bunch. If you really need to get all emotional about a simple misunderstanding maybe you should go and have a good cry and let it all out. It is people like you and responses like that which cause LO members to go to other sites and forums to get their questions (and mistakes) answered and corrected.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast