Stupid n00b Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid n00b Questions

Hey, I'm fairly new to 40k (start groaning and rolling your eyes here) and had a couple questions I probably missed the answers to while going through the forum... i DID go to the FAQ sticky, so at least it's none of those... :-)

We're using the Battle for Macragge rulebook, and can't find out a couple things:

What the (expletive) do Krak grenades do? We know what both missiles and frag grenades do, but not the Krak... are they just sold on the street and addictive or what? (sorry'bout the pun) I'm pretty sure they're used against vehicles, just not sure how...

Plasma Guns & Pistols backfire always on a roll of one, inflicting one wound... is armor save applicable, even if it would normally be disqualified by the AP value of the weapon? Or would a guardsman just get roasted without a save? (This one might be in there... I'm not actually the guy with the book in my posession)

I made a couple conversions... one is my commander using space marine armor as carapace armor with a space marine standard glued to his back... can he actually carry the standard or does it have to be given to a guardsman? The second conversion was to add a bolt pistol onto the back of a power fist. Would it be legal to give him the bolt pistol, power fist, and a power weapon... he would use the bolt pistol at range, then use the fist and weapon in CC. Even if it's not legal, I still think it looks cool! :-)

Lastly, I noticed in my friend's Tau codex that all the weapons have the special rules listed after them instead of the asterisks I find in my IG codex... is there an updated reference sheet for the IG weapons list that includes the rules in a similar fashion to the Tau codex?

Finally, thank you in advance to anyone that deigns to help... I know how annoying it can be to answer what would otherwise be considered a stupidly obvious question. I play a couple of other games and even Judge for one of them, so I know that sometimes you just want to shake someone when they ask the same question that comes up over and over ad infinitum....

Thanks again, and I hope to make more "useful" contributions to this forum in the future!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know some of those!

The krak grenades are used to smash tanks in assault: assault a tank with a guy carrying those things and say he/she is gonna use one, then it counts as 1 str6+D6 attack.
    the model can only use 1 grenade attack per assault (needing both hands to hold it firmly on the tank or whatever)

The guy with the pistol, power fist, power weapon: characters can only choose 2 weapons, so in gameterms you have to "count it as not being there".
    which isnt such a big problem (it makes the model cheaper)
    if you want to use the fist count the sword off and vice versa. (always keep the pistol for the 1 point extra attack.)

About the plasma weapons im not very sure, but i think armor saves are allowed, since the rules say that the model wounds itself automatically, they dont really say anything about armor. (I always do the armour saving with that, so do my opponents)

For the IG weapons: doesnt IG have only "common" weapons without crazy stuff?
    sniper rifles, ordnance, barrage things are all covered in the standard rulesbook
    Chaos does not need explaining! guess what? Chaos cannot be explained!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaHat
    Chaosdude is a dutch, heretic surfer who hangs around the red light district picking up daemonettes..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chaosdude
    For the IG weapons: doesnt IG have only "common" weapons without crazy stuff?
    sniper rifles, ordnance, barrage things are all covered in the standard rulesbook
    Firstly, thankya very much!

Yeah, they only have "common" stuff... I just wanted to make sure where to find them. I'll have to save up to get the full rulebook. It would have been nice to have known that my mortars cause pinning when I played my friend's Tau the other weekend, though! :-p

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

I'd like stress something

The rulebook in battle for mcragge IS the full rulebook. You do not need another one. It has the exact same rules on the exact same pages, it just doesnt have the fluff which you do not need

Also yes, you take normal armor saves against plasma overheating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsyndrome
    Hey, I'm fairly new to 40k (start groaning and rolling your eyes here) and had a couple questions I probably missed the answers to while going through the forum... i DID go to the FAQ sticky, so at least it's none of those... :-)

We're using the Battle for Macragge rulebook, and can't find out a couple things:

What the (expletive) do Krak grenades do? We know what both missiles and frag grenades do, but not the Krak... are they just sold on the street and addictive or what? (sorry'bout the pun) I'm pretty sure they're used against vehicles, just not sure how...

Plasma Guns & Pistols backfire always on a roll of one, inflicting one wound... is armor save applicable, even if it would normally be disqualified by the AP value of the weapon? Or would a guardsman just get roasted without a save? (This one might be in there... I'm not actually the guy with the book in my posession)

I made a couple conversions... one is my commander using space marine armor as carapace armor with a space marine standard glued to his back... can he actually carry the standard or does it have to be given to a guardsman? The second conversion was to add a bolt pistol onto the back of a power fist. Would it be legal to give him the bolt pistol, power fist, and a power weapon... he would use the bolt pistol at range, then use the fist and weapon in CC. Even if it's not legal, I still think it looks cool! :-)

Lastly, I noticed in my friend's Tau codex that all the weapons have the special rules listed after them instead of the asterisks I find in my IG codex... is there an updated reference sheet for the IG weapons list that includes the rules in a similar fashion to the Tau codex?

Finally, thank you in advance to anyone that deigns to help... I know how annoying it can be to answer what would otherwise be considered a stupidly obvious question. I play a couple of other games and even Judge for one of them, so I know that sometimes you just want to shake someone when they ask the same question that comes up over and over ad infinitum....

Thanks again, and I hope to make more "useful" contributions to this forum in the future!
    Go here and Read the FAQ's on IG Codex and Armagedon Codex: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...AQ/default.htm
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Here is another good read for you: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...sh/default.htm

That will walk you through Assaulting.

Look on the left side of the Games Workshop website and you will see more links to help with your game play. I also read the Battle reports in White Dwarf and here on this website. Those will help you with a lot of the game and how it flows.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also as far as IG goes, SM armor is not a WSIWYG conversion for carapace armor. We're talking about a suit of armor that an 8 foot man wears that probably weighs in the 200-300lb range vs ablative armor that is comparable to full breech gear worn by swat teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Not really, Carapace armour the same as the armour worn by Scouts. It isn't that big a stretch to represent a commander in power armour as having carapace armour. What may be a problem though is the conversion level; a Tournament or anal retentive player may not wish to allow it, argueing that it isn't a conversion to an IG model but a proxy of an IG model.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

are
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsyndrome
    I made a couple conversions... one is my commander using space marine armor as carapace armor with a space marine standard glued to his back... can he actually carry the standard or does it have to be given to a guardsman?
    In the Imperial Guard you need a dedicated banna wava if you want the advantages of having a banner in your company HQ. If the standard is just for show it doesn't matter who carries it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast