accidental flamer into CC - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

accidental flamer into CC

-can you fire a flamer so that it would touch models in CC?

-the specific case that came up was my friend wanted to fire the flamer on his calidus at my demon prince, but in a way that would hit many of the super crowded berserkers who were in CC behind it.

-he argued that since it is targetted at a model out of CC, it is perfectly legal.

-he eventually decided that it would be cheap, and that he wouldn't do it, but only after a lengthy argument.

Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. He can't as everything under the template is considered a "target".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, if it happens to scatter....(not likely with a flamer) then it works.... Unless you play with house rules which allows you to shoot into cc.
    W/D/L
    Tau - Knights of the Frozen Wastes
    10/2/4

Necrons - The Phalanx of Gleaming Death
    2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe the BGB says the template must be placed to cover as many models as possible in the target unit (or as much of the model as possible for tanks and MCs). also, the template cannot be placed so that it covers a model that is not a legal target (ie a unit in CC vs randomn unit out in the field).

so you cannot fire a flamer into combat unless it scatters there, becuase that is an illegal placement and the shot would therefore not happen. (similar to placing an ordnance template out of range)

this is also to protect cheesy gitz from targetting a tank and hitting all the infantry next to it then charging the tank after the inf is fried. the legal way to do it, is to have the inf directly between you and the target you're shooting at. but make sure you are in range!
    I thought you said they wouldn't charge us!
    What I said was: I didn't think they would charge us and win. And I still believe that.
    Then if they can't win, what are they doing charging us?
    It's possible, I suppose, their commander disagrees with my assessment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

right, but it IS perfectly legal to target models in a unit that are farther than two inches from the actual combat, right?
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

No, it is not. The squad is locked in combat and may not be targetted in whole or in part.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Not wishing to be over pedantic Ostsol, you are right but your semantics are wrong, the squad is engaged, however, only those members of the squad in base to base or withing 2 inches of a mini in base to base are locked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Also keep in mind that you may not fire a flamer if it touches any friendly models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Yeah, you wouldn't be a battlefield commander for very long if you consistently cooked your own men with your own flamers.

Quote Originally Posted by General Disarray
    so you cannot fire a flamer into combat unless it scatters there, becuase that is an illegal placement and the shot would therefore not happen. (similar to placing an ordnance template out of range)

this is also to protect cheesy gitz from targetting a tank and hitting all the infantry next to it then charging the tank after the inf is fried. the legal way to do it, is to have the inf directly between you and the target you're shooting at. but make sure you are in range!
    Flamers don't scatter.
    Shooting a tank with the flamer (even if it can't possible glance it) and hitting infantry next to it is a perfectly valid option if you want to assault the tank and not the infantry during the assault phase. Flamers ignore all cover so if the template touches any models they're hit automatically even if there's a wall in front of you. Flamers are one of the only infantry weapons that do not need LOS to all models affected by it. It only needs LOS to the unit it is fired at the same as any other weapon.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    Not wishing to be over pedantic Ostsol, you are right but your semantics are wrong, the squad is engaged, however, only those members of the squad in base to base or withing 2 inches of a mini in base to base are locked
    Grr. . . It's a small matter, but now you've made me look it up. :tongue: Page 44, the first sentence in the section entitled "Shooting Into & Out of Close Combat": "Models belonging to units locked in combat. . ."
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast