What is a Leadership test? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

What is a Leadership test?

Let me start off by saying that this is not quite as stupid a question as it looks. . . Let me continue by expanding upon the question:

What tests can be described as being a form of Leadership tests?

Morale, Pinning, Target Priority, and Psychic tests all use a model's (or a squad's) Leadership attribute. These are also frequently termed "Leadership-based tests". So, when an ability effects a modifier upon "all Leadership tests", does that mean that all four types of tests that I listed are affected? Or would the modifier have to be made upon "all Leadership-based tests"?

One instance where this is critical in with the Tyranid Hive Mind Power called Psychic Scream. In the old codex the text stated that it affected "all Leadership-based tests". In the new codex the text says "all Leadership tests". Is there no difference between the two wordings? Or are "Leadership tests" a specific sub-grouping of "Leadership-based tests"?

Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Dammit! I thought this was a rhetorical question when I read the subject and had a nice smart-ass answer all planned out. Then when I read the real question I forgot my reply as this is a good question. Here's my $0.02:

If an ability affects a statline value then it affects ALL rolls made using that stat value. Hence, an ability like Psychic Scream that affects LD affects all rolls that use LD as the base value (morale, pinning, target priority, etc...). This seems perfectly logical as your wits are being affected so all abilities that require clear thought are affected as well.

If an ability affects a specific roll then only that roll is affected. An ability that decreases pinning values only affects pinning rolls and morale etc. are unaffected.

This is how I believe the rules were intended and is how I play them. I refuse to be a rules lawyer and argue the exact wording of the rules and instead focus on having a good time with this game. At least that is how I am now....
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

All tests that compare (usually) 2D6 against the ld value are leadership tests.

It works like this:

All tests are a subgroup of "leadership tests" - i.e. all morale checks are leadership tests, but not all leadership tests are morale checks (if you see what I mean).

So fearless models are only exempted from certain ld tests (morale and pinning), but still have to take the other two.

And thus anything that affects ld tests affects all four groups.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork
    That's what I was trying to say in the other thread Ostol, I just didn't have the bright idea of creating a picture to illustrate my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Ah, okay. My main reason for this thread was actually to see if there was a concensus on the matter. Previously, I had thought that "Leadership test" might only include Morale and Pinning (though I don't know where I got that from), while "Leadership-based" refers to the entire lot. If they are really the same, then that clears up alot. That GW doesn't seem to have any standards for the use of certain terms is really confusing at times.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

+ Reply to Thread