Chaos Terminators - firing and assaulting? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Terminators - firing and assaulting?

Being new to the 4th ed rules, I am a little confused as to how Chaos Terminators act when using combi-bolters and heavy weapons.

The rules clearly state that you can fire 'Assault' weaponary and charge in the assault phase which means Space Marine terminators have no problems when using Storm Bolters (which are counted as an assault weapon)

However with 'Rapid Fire' weapons (e.g. combi-bolters on Chaos Terminators) it clearly states that you cannot fire and charge in the same turn.

In the 3rd Ed rules, this was made quite clear as they were counted 'as stationary even if they'd moved that turn', but this isn't made very clear in the 4th Ed rules.

It clearly states I can move and fire with 'Heavy' weapons (e.g. Reaper Autocannon) and even the weapon type desciptions suggests that in rare cases heavy weapons can be fired on the move and you can still assault giving examples like riders on bikes, monstrous creatures, vehicles, powerful exoskeletons etc...

My questions are as follows:

1) If I move a Terminator with a Combi-Bolter, can I still fire upto it's maximum range or am I limited to the two shots upto 12" rule like normal troops?

2) If I fire a combi-bolter with a Terminator during the shooting phase, does this then prevent me from assaulting like normal troops would be affected?

3) If I fire a Heavy weapon with a Terminator on the move, does this then prevent me from charging in the assault phase?

Many thanks for any advise!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Terminators are allowed to move and then shoot as if they had stood still. Therefore they can move and shoot at max range for rapid fire weapons, they can move and fire heavy weapons, and they can assault no matter what gun they shot nor how many times they fired with it.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

By RAW chaos terminators cannot fire their rapid fire weapons and assault, but can fire their heavy weapons and assault. I however play by a house rule that GW stuffed up, and you can definetely move and fire one shot at 24", 2 shots at 12", and assault if firing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Meh? Can move shoot and assault heavies but not rapid fire weapons? I too think GW screwed up.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why I asked. I mean this is how I always used to play but being new to the 4th ed 40k rules, I thought this might have changed.

There's no mention specifically in their army list entry or the wargear section to suggests that the rule still exists.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

See "Shooting and Assaulting" pg 36 BGB.

You're OK .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this Rork, I just saw that actually as I was browsing! However, there is nothing in Codex Chaos or in the Wargear book that says Terminator armour counts rapid fire weaponary as stationary if moved which puzzles me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork
    See "Shooting and Assaulting" pg 36 BGB.

You're OK .
    By RAW, terminators don't count as stationary when rapid firing.

Your sig also bothers me a little :huh:.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari
    By RAW, terminators don't count as stationary when rapid firing.
    Hmmm, but the codex was written before those rules. If you can fire what is essentially two autocannons on the move, you can fire a couple of bolters.

If anyone actually tried to claim otherwise, they seriously need to look at why they play this game.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread