Mystics and Drop Pods - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystics and Drop Pods

I apologize if this has already been covered.

My question is: do Mystics allow for "free shots" on Drop Pods and/or the payload inside them when they enter play?

I couldn't find anything in the SM Codex stating that Drop Pods arrive via "deep strike." So therefore, the Mystic would not be able to give the retinue "free shots" at the Drop Pod or it's passengers. That way I interpret it is that Drop Pods are not technically a "deep strike" and the Mystic only gives you an opportunity to shoot at deep-striking units or Daemons when they enter play.

Thanks,
    A Frustrated Inquisition Guy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

The codex sorta implies that it deep strikes when it says that it may be used "even when the mission being played does not normally allow Reserves or Deep Strike."
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Pods do trigger the Mystic's ability. While the Codex does not explicitly state that they "Deep Strike", it is implied (as per Ostsol's post) and GW comments on their forum point to Mystics getting their free shot against Drop Pods.

As for targetting, you may shoot at either the Drop Pod OR the disembarked unit but not both. Typically you will want to shoot the unit as they are the bigger threat but if your opponent positions them out of sight then you'll have no choice but to try and blow up the Drop Pod.

Cheers, Lleu.
    Last edited by Lleu; January 18th, 2006 at 09:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. By any chance do you have a link or a FAQ that I can print out? I have a feeling I'm going to get cheezed out of the "free shot" if I'm playing an informal game. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries Pat5150, always happy to help.

Go to the GW forum (http://uk.games-workshop.com/forums/warhammer40000/ )and look up the fourth thread, entitled "Some 40K rules clarifications from Pete Haines". Then do a web search within the thread for "mystic" and it will come up.

It isn't much to go on and these rulings are not considered 100% official until they get put into an FAQ but they're the next best thing.

+ Reply to Thread