Resolving Hits - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resolving Hits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resolving Hits

So my wraithlord approaches my buddy's spacewolf squad and fires off his starcannon and flamer. The discussion that follows involves my buddy saying that I should have shot the flamer first so that more of his troops would be under the flame template. He says that each weapon is resolved separately and immediately. Well, I found in the rulebook under the shooting phase section that you roll all of your hits at once with some way to differentiate between weapons. Wouldn't that translate to rolling all wound rolls together as well and ur opponent resolving all saves from all weapons fired from a single unit at once?
    So, it appears to me that it doesn't matter which weapon i shoot "first". Right?

Feedback please.

The Wanderers have returned...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

The rules do not explicitly say anything about the order in which one must resolve such weapons. The only thing that someone might count as an exception is with multiple blast or template weapons from a single unit. In such cases, each is evaluated and casualties are removed before moving onto the next blast or template weapon. However, I don't think that applies here.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

You shoot all weapons at the same time. You select your target and roll all hit rolls simultaneously using different color dice for each weapon. Template weapons are placed at this time and rolls for partial hits are made. After ALL of the hits are decided (from both shooting and template weapons from the same unit) you roll for wounds.

In short, it doesn't matter what you roll for or place first as all hits from the same unit are tallied before any wounds are allocated.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a similar note, do models that can fire at a unit separate from the rest of their squad (for example, Tau with target locks) have to declare their targets before rolling dice or can they go one at a time?

For instance, my friend plays Tau...when he fires with his broadsides, he shoots the first one at a tank and sees if he destroys it before deciding where to fire with the second one that has a target lock. Same with his pathfinders which have target locks....he fires a rail rifle and a marker light, sees if they hit, then moves on to the next target which may or may not be the same squad. (note, he does not use the markerlights to paint for other rail rifles in the same squad, he knows better than that) Is this legal?
    This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x4)

There's no specific rules for this that I know of (since normal units can only shoot at a single target), but I'd say that the entire unit must declare its targets before firing.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rules for titans might help in this situation. Although the titan can fire at two seperate targets, it must declare it's targets before firing. I cannot see how effective one weapon is before firing the second.

Fluff wise it would make sense as firing a broadside at a tank isn't like rapid firing a bolter from the hip. I don't think a crisis suit would be able to size up a good hit location on a tank, take aim, steady his breathing, be about to fire and then suddenly change targets as he sees the tank it was about to take out get vaporized by his buddy who is now doing a happy dance.
    In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Ostsol. I believe a Starcannon is a Blast weapon, and flamers use the Template. The only rule to remember here is that hits wounds and casualties must be resolved for each weapon before going on to the next; this is to prevent the same models from being killed several times over and still adding up. For example, you should not be able to place two or more flamer/blast templates over the same models and adding up hits that carry over the entire enemy unit.
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x4)

No, a Star Cannon isn't a blast weapon. . .

Also, the rules stating that hits and wounds must be resolved before moving on to the next weapon is only with respect to multiple blast weapons or multiple template weapons within a single unit. However, if there's only one blast or template weapon, then it's safe to assume that its hits and wounds are resolved at the same time as the normal weapons' are.

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

hmmm. I am going to dissagree with solex on this one. My interpertation of the rules is like this each unit should declare what weapons are begin fired and at what targets.

so the wraith lord approaches the marines and unloads a volley of death. Roll your hits and convert them to wounds as normal, before a single casualty is removed. ( remeber you if you cause more wounds than targets you can force a individual model to take a save before anyone else ( pg 26 core rule book 4ed)
    next remove casualties starting with the ones that get to save. then take saves as necassary. once you complete this cycle move onto the next unit.
    If you resolve hit by hit you may end up with some very inefetive fire your opponets space wolves might take the star cannon hits first and remove casualties from the flamers template range causing less hits.
    The same can be said if you take the unsavable hits last. for example
    lets say there are 5 marines ( one of which is a sgt with a pwr fist) who take 10hits from las guns and 1 from a laser cannon
    we will be nice and say that of the 10 las guns 5 wound the las cannon also smokes one unlucky marine. a unscrouples player might take the 5 las gun hits on the entire squad so to increase his odds of getting away with minimal losses.
    So to sum up this ramble of mine declar who shoots at what , then resolve all weapon hits and wounds removal the dead and move onto the next, unit

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

+ Reply to Thread