Two Deep Strike Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Deep Strike Questions

Deathwing vs. Ultramarine+Inquisitor 1850 today, and two questions came up that none of us had ever run into before.

First, the Inquisitor had two psykers with him that allowed him to detect deep striking units and call in one friendly unit's worth of fire on the deep striking unit as soon as they hit the table. Now, that's all well and good (and WHY don't we see more people using this trick?), but in this particular case, the Deathwing player brought down two units on the same turn, and the psykers were able to see both of them. For the first unit, the Ultramarine player used his plasma-heavy Devastator squad.

Now the question: Is he allowed to use the same Devastator squad again against the second unit in the same turn?

And the second question is about Teleport Homers.

Reserves rolls are made at the beginning of the movement phase. I've always played that they come in immediately after the roll is made and before any other movement takes place, however, the Deathwing player argued that the reserves can enter at any time during the movement phase.

Normally it makes no difference, but the Deathwing player rolled for his reserves, THEN moved his commander (with the Teleport Homer), and THEN brought down the Deep Striking unit, via the Homer, closer to enemy lines. The Ultramarine player argued that Deep Strikes happen before any other movement. Who is correct?

And a bonus question: In what order does consolidation happen?

Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Now the question: Is he allowed to use the same Devastator squad again against the second unit in the same turn?
    No Idea and i don't have a DH codex nearby so couldn't tell ya.

Normally it makes no difference, but the Deathwing player rolled for his reserves, THEN moved his commander (with the Teleport Homer), and THEN brought down the Deep Striking unit, via the Homer, closer to enemy lines. The Ultramarine player argued that Deep Strikes happen before any other movement. Who is correct?
    The rules make so special conjectures about it so i'd say its legal, based on the fact that it doesn't say its illegal in the bgb, it simply doesn't mention the topic at all.
    And a bonus question: In what order does consolidation happen?
    All combat resolutions are considered simultaneous, as are consolidations.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rules make so special conjectures about it so i'd say its legal, based on the fact that it doesn't say its illegal in the bgb, it simply doesn't mention the topic at all.
    Exactly my point. However, check out the "Note" under Reserves on page 85. The wording here seems to imply that the unit must enter the table as soon as the dice show that it becomes available.

All combat resolutions are considered simultaneous, as are consolidations.
    An example for you, then. A unit of Khorne Berzerkers has just wiped out its enemy and has a consolidation move. Three inches away, a unit of Tactical Marines has just wiped out its enemy and has a consolidation move. Obviously, the berzerkers want to consolidate into the marines, thus trying them up in melee, while the marines want to consolidate away from the berzerkers.

If everything happens simultaneously, do the marines get away or not?
    Last edited by Straylight; February 19th, 2006 at 11:28.

--Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

As far as the Mystic issue is concerned, it's been covered before, but isn't an easy discussion to find, but *HERE* (Mystic question) it is.
    basically what it says is that each time anyone DS's within a detectable distance of a pair of Mystics, then the Inquisitor & his retinue, or a nominated squad, can have a "free" round of shooting. Each time, that means that if for some reason the other guy DS's 4 squads in range, then The =][= and his freinds can shoot at each and every one of them.

As for the delayed Reserves rolling, that's not how it works. Reserves must be rolled for as soon as possible, and then they must arrive as soon as possible. This means that a reserve roll must be performed before movement, and the Reserve Troops must arrive before movement as well.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone DS's within a detectable distance of a pair of Mystics, then the Inquisitor & his retinue, or a nominated squad, can have a "free" round of shooting. Each time, that means that if for some reason the other guy DS's 4 squads in range, then The =][= and his freinds can shoot at each and every one of them.
    That's what I thought. Wow, cheesy.

As for the delayed Reserves rolling, that's not how it works. Reserves must be rolled for as soon as possible, and then they must arrive as soon as possible. This means that a reserve roll must be performed before movement, and the Reserve Troops must arrive before movement as well.
    Also what I thought, and always the way I've seen it played.

--Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

it's not cheesy, it's RETRIBUTION! :w00t:
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BGB seems clear to me. "Each [unit in reserve] is diced for separately at the start of the player's turn. [Table w/term "Unit arrives on"] When a unit arrives, it must move on . . ."

In other words, you roll for reserves at the start of your turn, and the unit moves on immediately. No way to argue that you can wait and jocky other units first.

As for the other thing, I looked at the DH codex, and it looks to me like he gets the shots as you stated, and only costs 12 points for the two psychers to do it. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for consolodation I think it would work like rapping at the end of a drawn combat. The player who's turn it is goes first. That's just the way I've played. I've never had cause to try and search for a rule book entry to back it up but I'll look and get back if I find one.
    In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sanguinary lord
    As for consolodation I think it would work like rapping at the end of a drawn combat. The player who's turn it is goes first. That's just the way I've played. I've never had cause to try and search for a rule book entry to back it up but I'll look and get back if I find one.
    That is exactly how it is done. The player who's turn it is always consolidates first. This allows the attacker to move a bit forward each time.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sanguinary lord

That is exactly how it is done. The player who's turn it is always consolidates first. This allows the attacker to move a bit forward each time
    Creampuff

Now I am really confused. I have always finished one combat before doing another one. For example due my turn I have 3 differnt melee. A,B and C. Finish A and do my consoildation assuming I win then to the next one etc.. So if A was close to B he could consolidation but not fight that turn but hold B in combat. Because B still has not done it combat yet. Does that make sense?
    bonekrusher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast