Orbital Strikes In City Fight - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This came up recently and I'm wondering since I can't find any specific mention of it in the city fight rules: Normally ordance weapons roll to hit & score a d6 hits on the target unit with CF. The problem is that orbital strike doesn't come with a ballistic skill stat as far as I know. Any thoughts? Anyone seen something in WD or on the GW website (I've looked but haven't found anything)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know for certain, but I would use the majority BS for the army... IE S.M. orbital strike would be B.S. 4. Alternately there a list in the V.D.R. that tells you what the basic B.S. for an army's vehicles is. I.E. S.M. tanks start at B.S. 3, but for additional points you can upgrade to 4. The second option sound more reasonable to me, as I'm hoping that the orbital strike is coming from an (as yet) unidentified vehicle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking the same thing but then figured it ought to have a BS of 3 given that it's twice as inaccurate as a normal guess range weapon (i.e., you roll 2d6 for your scatter). That, to me, seems to fit more with the spirit of the weapon and keeps it from being too powerful.

Of course the other problem is the "piece of terrain" target because we've had players argue that empty table "fields" count as terrain, and thus try to be able to target virtually anything in a wide open space. Same goes for streets in a city. While I agree with the logical notion that fields and streets are terrain, the rules seem to indicate it has to be a discrete piece of added terrain. Otherwise you end up with an INCREDIBLY powerful ord.wpn that you don't need to guess and you don't need to roll to hit, and which costs less than most other options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Q&A (CA 2004) there was a question about where you can target the strike, and a river flowing across the table was mentioned as a valid target. So I guess roads would be ok, but the entire board (field) sounds a bit too much...

lekrist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had seen that question too; the problem of course is that a river is typically still a terrain piece (i.e., it's something you put on the bare board in most people's set-ups) while a road in CF typically ends up being just the bare board between the buildings; hence it's the same thing as open terrain between pieces of terrain in a field. So the river still adheres to that single line about terrain piece. It's a really mirky area though.

Closed Thread