IG Infantry SQUADS - act independently? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG Infantry SQUADS - act independently?

Do Imperial Guard infantry squads have to stick together, within 2 inches of each other? Or can I setup and operate each squad as I please?

Codex: Imperial Guard p44.

"Each platoon counts as a single troop choice on the Force Organisation chart when deploying, and it is rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves. Otherwise they function as independent units."

Can I read the last word 'units' as 'SQUADS'?

On p38-39 Command Platoon, each sub-unit may deploy or arrive in a different location and act independently. But... are ordinary Infantry Platoon squads treated the same?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Yes each squad within the platoon acts as n independent unit and do not have to be within 2 inces of each other.
    And yes. Ordinary infantry platoons are treated the same. But remember the are rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves. However, they do not have to be set up in the same place.

You should really do a search before you post. this question has been asked a zillion times before.
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Just because several units are taken as a single force organisation chart choice does not mean that they are dependant on each other. Because they are in the same chart slot, they must be deployed a the same time and they come in from reserves at the same time, but they are otherwise able to operate totally independantly from each other.

A "unit" is one model (or vehicle) or a group of models (or vehicles) that is able to act independantly from others. This includes un-attached independant characters, individuals (like Wraithlords, Lictors, etc), and squads/mobz/broods. The word "unit" is used interchangably with those terms in the rulebook and codices.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

BTW, this is clearly explained in the IG codex.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks - consider me educated

Appreciated. Hey, I promise, I DID read the FAQ thread, and did a search before posting. Obviously I didn't search effectively, 'cos I didn't find the answer I was after. And yes, I thoroughly read the IG codex - I was still confused.

So... I really appreciate getting two clear unambiguous replies.

+ Reply to Thread