Fair sized board? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair sized board?

What is a fair sized meat grinder board. My friends and I play on a 48" by 48". That leaves 24" btwn deploy zones. My nids can assault on turn two like that so they all call cheeze. Are the nids just awesome like that or is the board too short? If we make it 36" btwn zones my nids get shot to crap and I am left with like two genestealers in wheel chairs and a hive tyrant barely limping into close combat. Its hard to wage a war with 2 stealers in wheel chairs and a hive tyrant with a bum leg. Trust me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4x4 is generally considered good for 1500 points and below where i come from. 4x6 is used for 2-3k. 4x8 is used for large games.

Most people i know change the size depending on the point level of the games, not the mission being played.
    Another squad will almost always benefit you more than a few upgrades to all squads. Remember: Troops before Toys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4x6 is the standard size game board. 4x4 is ok for Kill-team or games under 1000 points. If you are playing a game of 2500+ points is would suggest a 4x8 board. Meat grinder is best played at higher point level where the defender can field enough weapons to handle the units that keep coming back while absorbing some damage himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

All of the mission rules assume a standard 4x6 board. If you're going to use a smaller board you'll have to modify the deployment options.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under the assumption that in standard missions deplyment zones should be 18" apart, not 24". I play nids too, but usually find that I only get into CC on turn 2 or three because smart opponents will deploy deep into their own zone as to avoid being 18" away from me. BTW I play on a 4x4 table and find that this is OK for games up to 1000 points. I play a swarm army so for fairness reasons I wont usually play more than 1000pts on my board, as I think swarms get an unfair advantage in cramped battles. In a match between shooty armies with more points-heavy units I think the size of the board matters less

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

All the tables I play on at my local GW are 4'X4'. If people cry cheese because you get a turn two assault they aren't playing in an effective way to beat you.

I mean, my 13th company wulfen almost 100% of the time get a turn two assault (and with S5, I5 and 4 attacks that hurts) but my opponents try to stop this happening by redeploying, getting into rapid fire range etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InnuitFireman
    I was under the assumption that in standard missions deplyment zones should be 18" apart, not 24". I play nids too, but usually find that I only get into CC on turn 2 or three because smart opponents will deploy deep into their own zone as to avoid being 18" away from me. BTW I play on a 4x4 table and find that this is OK for games up to 1000 points. I play a swarm army so for fairness reasons I wont usually play more than 1000pts on my board, as I think swarms get an unfair advantage in cramped battles. In a match between shooty armies with more points-heavy units I think the size of the board matters less
    When playing Sustained Attack (p.193 BB you get to bring back Troop choices that are destroyed or Fall Back. They come back from the attacker's board edge (long) or from either short board edge outside the defenders deployment zone. That is huge for 'Nids or any assaulty army! If you are deploying 12" in from the long edges in a game, your recycled Sustained Attack units can come in 12" from the defender's board edge along either short side of the board. On a 4x4 board this is murder most foul as your only defense from being assaulted by recycled units is to stay within 12" of the centerline of your board edge. This leaves you just under 24" in the center of your board edge to work with out to about 36" to avoid the attacker's long board edge becoming a threat as well. A 4x6 board allows you 48" to avoid recycled assault, or if you stick with a 24" zone, it allows for a round of shooting at the enemy before they can assault you again.
    Sustained Attack is an ugly loophole for assaulty armies when played on a small board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

The page ref would be p 79. use 6 12"X12" thus a total of 48"X60" being a standard board.
    Mind you, thats also the same size board that can be used for multiple detachments.

If your opponent has problems with playing a board where you're starting 24" from him, tell him he needs to learn how to deploy better. Putting all his guys on the 12" mark is just setting himself up to be eaten. All the better for you.

Further, your faster nids should be reaching combat no later than turn 3, with the big guys lumbering in on turn 4-6. On a set of good rolls, hormies and scuttling genestealers can get a first turn assault if he sets up on the 12" mark, which again-his fault.

But as has been pointed out here, just talk to thenabout the size of board he wants. Then, if he insists on a huge board, agree. Tell him that you want to use his army, and he can try yours at that size board. Should make him realise how fragile nids are.

90% of cover will offer a better save than 80% of our units. If it comes down to him insisting on a huge board, just insist on a bunch of small size 2 and 3 area terrain features. They will block LOS if you are behind them, and stop them from getting shot to death prematurely.

Again, if time permits, and you win or lose, offer to swap armies and show him how fragile your army really is.

Wish I had more people willing to try and play my army before calling them cheap. My all guardian list has the numbers but falls on it's face if someone knows what they are doing. Same for my nids list-2 squads of w/o number spinegaunts, genestealers w/. scuttlers to draw fire, 15 or so warriors, 2 screamer killers, and a HT with 3 TG. 1500pts of nearly all synapse=) Everyone worries about the big bugs and will let the small stuff get in, or focus all on the small stuff and forget to start falling back before my big stuff. So far I stand at one horrible win vs tau (he should have one, but deployed all screwy) and a tie vs a well rounded marine list (I had more points and might have been able to squeek out a win but she was a newbie).
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

+ Reply to Thread