Imperial Guard Snipers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard Snipers

I am a new player in the process of building an Imperial Guard Army. I am trying to determine if I should include some snipers.

As I understand the Codex, snipers can be assigned to a special weapons squad as an attachment to the command squad; however, I also read somewhere that snipers were an elite choice. Can they be used either way? Or can they only be used in the command squad?

The snipers cannot move as independent characters but must be a squad? According to the Codex, you can have 3 of your 6 guardsmen in a special weapons squad armed with sniper rifles. I suppose I am not used to all the 40K rules (have played through them 6-10 times now); however, since I used to be an Army cavalry officer...I have a tough time understanding why snipers would move as a squad instead of as individuals...guess that is 40K reality...or perhaps to make them more survivable given the rules.

In order to make a good decision about employing snipers within my developing Army (setting up a 1500 pt one at the moment), I need to fully understand the rules. Also, any comments on their effectiveness would also be appreciated. It seems that with their ability to pin enemy infantry and the high probability to hit with their sniper rifles...they are a cheap and effective tool to echelon the enemy into the fields of fire of the masses of IG inf squads with lasguns, special weapons, and heavy weapons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

The PDF codex:deathworld on the GW website allows you to use single snipers as eite choices. I believe you can use some of the units from the PDF codex in a gaurd army...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The IG can take 1 squad of Ratling snipers as an Elite choice. I don't have the codex right here, but I believe all the models in a Ratling squad get sniper rifles as opposed to 3 in a Special Weapons squad. They also have a "Go to Ground" special rule that helps them against Falling Back. A 6 man Ratling squad costs the same as a Special Weapon squad, but all 6 Ratlings will have sniper rifles. A definate bonus!

Both types of snipers are fielded as squads, so they must move together, shoot at the same target, etc. This has more to do with game mechanics than anything else. There are Vindicare Assassins, the ultimate 40k snipers, and they operate as single models. They also have special equipment to make them tough enough to do this and survive. You can take them as an allied Elite choice from either the Daemonhunter or Witchhunter codex as long as you also take an Inquisitor Lord as a HQ choice.

IG snipers need to be in squads in order to survive long enough to do some damage. A single IG trooper would be killed very quickly with his weak armor. The Vindicare Assassin can pull off the one-man show because of the stats and wargear he has.

+ Reply to Thread