Rending S + implant attack? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rending S + implant attack?

There are two questions to this.

1. What is the S of a rending attack?

This is asked because a Broodlord (S6) fighting T3 units with multiple wounds (Nurglings), may instant kill if rending has a S value...

2. If a broodlord with Implant attack causes wounds to T3+multi wound enemys (Nurglings), what happens?

2a. Would the BL instant kill 1 base of nurglings?

or...

2b. Would the BL kill 2 bases of nurglings? (Implant causes 2 wounds for each unsaved wound)?

This came up a while ago in a game, we went with S6 for rending and only one base for instant kill with implant attack. This seemed fair, but would it be technicaly correct if I wanted to win (Tourny setting).

Thanks for your advice on this....

Last edited by Da Springy Nids; March 28th, 2006 at 09:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Don't nurglings have an invulnerable save? Rending attacks just use the strength of the weapon for instant kill purposes, but it auto-wounds. I'll have to look through the tyranids codex for implants.

third edit- After looking through all this again i've become a bit confused myself. Now i've looked at some previous threads. From what i've seen in the bgb and on LO here, the model would take 1 wound after the save, instant killing it and making it unable to take any further wounds. Thus, the extra wounds would be wasted. fourth edit- There is an extensive thread about this with views on both sides elsewhere on the forum.
    Last edited by mephistophales; March 28th, 2006 at 08:53.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The implant attack doesn't actually create new wounds, just inflicts an extra wound ON THE MODEL THAT WAS WOUNDED. The extra wound happens after the wounding/saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

The rending attack has the same strength as a normal attack by the model. So, yes the BL would auto-kill the nurglings because he has a strength of 6. But as it has already been stated, Implant Attack makes an extra wound on the model that was previously wounded. since the base was auto-killed the extra wound is wasted. This is the same as if he hit the nurglings with four wounds and they only had three, the extra is wasted.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically put, you were right in the way you handled the situation
    Never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes...by that time they'll be a mile away, and have no shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be a completely different question but it does relate to this situation...

In determining who wins an assault, does the extra wounds caused in the above situation count towards combat resoloution?

e.g. Does the two wounds caused to each nurgling base count as two or just one?

The Instant death from a force weapon attack only counts as one due to the rules on p.46 but does this apply in this instance...

Or due to the model dying outright as a result of the first is the second wasted, per "determine assault results" on p.43 as it is not really "wounds in excess of a models wounds characteristic".

As the BL caused one wound roll, two wounds are actually inflicted, which is not in excess of the wounds characteristic on nurglings. But caused instant death.

I may just be missing something obvious...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...=instant+death (Inflicted wounds vs insta death)

This thread had alot of discussion on it. After going over it all i'd say that you should count the 3 wounds of the nurglings as they all were removed, even though only 1 wound was actually inflicted. I could be wrong as there has been alot of rules lawyering on this.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I saw that thread, but what about in the case of implant attack, which causes two wounds?

Because if that carnie had implant would it have made a difference to the outcome of the combat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

Well, if they hadn't been instant killed then it would have effected it, as you would have inflicted fewer wounds from not instant killing them, only two per hit with the nurglings having 3 . Overall you would have scored fewer wounds than you did with the instant kill. Edit- The scarabs have the same problems as the nurglings, getting instant killed, so it's the same situation. They even have the same number of wounds. For it to matter a carnifex would have to hit something he couldn't kill, like a wraithlord or a greater daemon.
    Last edited by mephistophales; March 31st, 2006 at 05:54.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

+ Reply to Thread