Grey Knights Shrouding Ability - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knights have the "Shrouding" ability. According to the rules "any time an enemy unit fires at a unit of Grey Knights it must check if it can see them." This works like night firing in essence. The fluff says that it is due to the combined pschic powers of the grey knights blinding their enemies senses.

Question 1:
    Does a "unit" of grey knights count grey knight vehicles?
    they are listed as:
    Grey Knight Dreadnought (heavy support)
    Grey Knight Land Raider (heavy support)
    Grey Knight Land Raider Crusader (heavy support)
    Rhino (transport)
    Chimera (transport)
    Land Raider (transport)
    Originally I thought no, because it is a psychic ability. However, the 2 Heavy Support GK Land Raiders are crewed by Grey Knights (says in the book), while all the other vehicles, including the dreadnought, are crewed by space marines, IG, or inquisitorial stormstroopers. So, I would think that at least the 2 heavy support land raiders WOULD be able to use this shrouding ability. But, are the transports counted as part of the GK unit it is bought for?

Second Q:
    Assuming the transport vehicles by themselves don't get the shrouding ability, what if they are carrying their Grey Knight's unit. Would the vehicle then get the benefit of the shrouding, as technically by shooting at the carrying vehicle the enemy is shooting at the unit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

On page 20 of Codex DH there is a clarification what models are summarized with the term "Grey Knight". You'll notice that no vehicles are mentioned there.

Concerning your second question, the vehicle doesn't benefit of shrouding then - because these shots ar directed at the vehicle, not at the GK within it.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh.. I missed that part. Thanks, makes sense. Hadn't played with the vehicles having the shrouding ability yet (thank goodness) so I prevented myself from making a mistake. Still.. from a fluff point of view (I know, fluff does not equal rules) I would think that vehicles crewed by Grey Knights could conceivably benefit from the ability. Or..maybe it's just too difficult to confuse their enemies that there isn't a big honking land raider over there! Hehe. Honestly, even at fairly medium to long ranges (24-36") I have found that the shrouding is ok, but rarely works. Considering a low average roll is (3+3+3) x 3 = 27" most units will be able to shoot them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Grey Knights CAN'T take a Rhino or Chimera... no transports for them. The only thing is a Landraider purchased as a Heavy Choice that can transport anyone...

Closed Thread