4 way battle. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 way battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 way battle.

Sorry if this is a dupe, or in the wrong place. I tried a number of searches and didn't come up with anything...

Anyhooo...

3 of my fellow warlords and I are about to attempt a 4 way battle. This can't be the first time anyone has tried this of course, but I was wondering about a few situations that are likely to pop up. I hope someone can at least point me in the right direction.

Are there any official rules dealing with battles that are more than 2 sided? If not, what is everyone's take on running say a close combat with more than 2 sides to it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play 4 way battles all the time. Usually, they don't work out very well in my experience. A couple people end up killing eachother, and then the others finish them off with an easy win. I would suggest having two separate battles on the same board, and then when the 2 winners are selected, they can battle eachother. This works out with a sort of tournament style of play, and keeps one person from holding back until victory is assured. As far as I'm concerned, in combat, you could attack either side as long as you are both engaged. for shooting, I think it should go by the rules, you can't shoot into combat even if you aren't engaged in the combat. There are too many technicalities to spell out, so I think you should just wing it the first time, and solve problems with a vote as you go.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2x2 would be good but 1 thing I think you should do is play it with unchanged lists and not let anyone know because sometimes if you have a Tau and marine player team up the marine may just choose shooting **** if oyur opponets are nids and mobby orks, you know what I mean? people could just pick lists to kill, not for stratergy otherwise good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

I believe that there was a 4 way battle in WD 251 called 'The Battle for Techuan's Key'.

I've played a few 4 player games before but we changed a few rules when we did do it.

Examples of the changes we made:

When two of my opponnents were locked in hth with each other, I was allowed to fire into their hth combat because none of my own troops were involved. We randomized the hits.

HtH combat only occured on the turns of the person who's turn it was, and who they were presently fighting. Not all 4 players turns.

So in the example you gave where more than 2 players are fighting in the hth, only the player whos turn it was and the units they were fighting would actually fight. If a third player's troops were in the fight but were not in base to base with the models of the player who's turn it was, then they wouldn't fight that round.

The games we played turned out pretty political with the players considered to be the least likely to win typically winning because everyone went after the 'dangerous' opponents first.
    Last edited by Grey; April 19th, 2006 at 05:00.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was that WD 251 between the Templars, Eldar, White Scars and chaos? I loved the thirster rip through 2 dreadies and squads if that's the same report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by DP Excerion
    Was that WD 251 between the Templars, Eldar, White Scars and chaos? I loved the thirster rip through 2 dreadies and squads if that's the same report.

That's the one.

Kind of gives you an idea of what you need to do to avoid everyone sitting in their respective table corners and blazing away too.

A big objective in the center of the table blocks LOS to players sitting diagonally across from each other and creates a natural ally for everyone, so everyone is fighting a one player versus two others if you see what I mean.

Until you reach the top of the objective of course, then all bets are off.

It also forces everyone to advance to sieze the objective which is always a good thing because always standing and shooting is boring. Even for stand and shoot lists.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive played a couple 4v myself, and with the same results (people holding back or taking out the threat)

I think the 2v2 with winners face off is the best way to go, ill prob use that myself in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. I like the "changing the rules idea" I've done 2v2 and elimination as well, just wanted to try free for all. I read a 4v4 battle report as well, but it was Dark Angels vs. Orks vs. Nids vs. Chaos. This one was for center objective as well. They didn't really explain how they handled assault.

I think I may try the rules you posted, Grey.

We'll see what the group thinks anyway

+ Reply to Thread