Librarium Online Forums banner

Base sizes question

790 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Lord Malachi 
#1 ·
Now i know that the rulebook states that models should be put on the bases they are supplied with or larger, however i am unsure as to whether something i have done is considered legal in rules terms.

To save money, basically, i have mounted the plastic mortars from the IG heavy weapons squadron box on a large round base (i believe they are the new terminator bases) and then based the crewmen on individual guardsmen bases...now the heavy weapons come on their own large base that encompasses the weapon and both crewman BUT the old metal IG troops (which you can still buy, infact the tallarn have just been rereleased) have seperate artillery pieces and crew- would i be right to think im ok to use these mortars? what do people think?

#4 ·
yup perfectly legal.
Now on a side note as much as I love the IG hvyweapon teams I found it odd that no special rules were ever released because of the current trend of basing the crew and weapon together. Rule nazi wise I would think the hvy weapon coud be insta killed if it was targeted and you would lose both the gunner and loader ( the model represents two guys so should have a the gaurdsman profile but with two wounds ) just wondering if anyone else has thought of that ?

#5 · (Edited)
No, definetely not. Excuse me while place hold this and run to the toilet. Explanation coming.

-------------

Ok, back. Now the FAQ states that the Guard heavy models are two models simply based together for convience. If this doesn't make it clear then I'll go more indepth.

Let's compare an attack bike and the heavy weapon team.

attack bike has two people on it as does the HWT, on both of them one fires the small arms and one fires the heavy weapon and they also both effectivley have two wounds.

The big difference here is that the Bike is treated as a single model, therefore only using a single stat profile. The HTW on the othe hand uses two, identical profiles and is treated as two separate models.

So what happens when a boltgun wounds the bike and the HTW? Well, the bike loses a wound but can function without a problem. Both the driver and the guy in sidecar can fire to full effect. When the HTW loses a wound, a guy dies and we lose one Lasgun shot from the squad. This is what makes them different because you must choose which model gets hit and dies in the HTW

Now let's wind time back and hit them with a krak rocket instead. The bike is killed out right through instant death. The HTW however has two separate models with two separate stat profiles and as before we choose which one is hit. This means although one guardsman dies, there is no instant death for the entire base.

#7 ·
Benefit of using a large base for an IG heavy weapon - when you have a team (3 heavy weapons) spaced 2" apart you can only hit one base with a large blast template if it doesn't scatter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.