Hi All,

I was not sure what category to put this under; however, I thought battle reports seemed the closest. I wrote up this draft campaign rule (trying to keep it simple) for a friend and I to play when he comes in to visit from out of town next month.

I am not really into all the fluff (I am sure someone can give me a history lesson on 40K...I don't really care about that...I know more than enough about our real world's history...I just play for the wargaming aspect of 40K). I know Dark Angels would not be fighting IG (I think...honestly, don't care in the greater scheme of things...I have IG and he has Dark Angels...and we want to play).

I just thought I might get some feedback on the rules and scenarios I put together...they are simple...nothing that is earth shattering. I was wondering how to work experience into a short campaign as well as giving extra perks for the victor of each battle going into the next one.

Anyone with experience in balancing this kind of stuff out...I am all ears. Thanks in advance for your input...

WARNING ORDER 060521-1 BATTLE FOR GALAHAD, JULY 2006

SITUATION: Elements of the Dark Angels Space Marines chapter recently occupied the world of Galahad following a successful campaign to eradicate Fallen Dark Angels identified in the area of operations. Based on intelligence, the loyalty of these Dark Angel elements has come into questions and the Grand Inquisitor has convicted them of heresy in absentia. The imperium has dispatched the Imperial Guard 7th Cavalry Regiment to bring these heretics to justice.

FRIENDLY/ENEMY FORCES: Each side will provide the opposing commander with 500-pt, 1000-pt, 1500-pt, and 2000-pt army lists. Armies may be modified prior to each battle based on changing conditions (such as unit experience, reconstitution checks, et al).

IMPERIAL GUARD MISSION: IMPERIAL GUARD 7TH CAVALRY (7TH CAV) ATTACKS IN ZONE TO SEIZE THE DARK ANGELS-OCCUPIED WORLD OF GALAHAD NLT 23 JUNE 2006. ON ORDER, SEIZE THE CAPITAL CITY OF GROZNY.

DARK ANGEL MISSION: DARK ANGELS (DA) DEFEND IN SECTOR TO ALLOW TIME FOR PREPARATION OF THE GROZNY DEFENSE. ON ORDER, CONDUCTS A WITHDRAWAL TO GROZNY AND BE PREPARED TO DEFEND IN PLACE UNTIL RELIEVED BY THE 1ST COMPANY DEATHWING.

EXECUTION:

CONCEPT OF THE OPERATION: The campaign will be a tree campaign in which the results of a battle will determine the circumstances of the next battle. Also, the margin of victory may have an impact on the next mission (page 86). Victories in a particular battle lead to earning campaign points. Ultimately, the side with the most campaign points will win the campaign. If a side wins a crushing victory or the opponent chooses to retreat before
the end of the battle (not a part of scenario objectives, rather in an attempt to preserve his units), the victor earns an additional campaign point. If a side wins a victorious slaughter, the winner earns three additional campaign points.

EXPERIENCE: Units will earn experience per the WH40K Rules (pages 242-9). Due to the short nature of the campaign, units will achieve elite status at 800 points and battle honors at 300 points. Any unit which is destroyed in combat loses its elite status and any accumulated battle honors. Army commanders will track their units' experience and opponents will verify it after every battle.

CASUALTIES: Every unit which is destroyed during a battle (immobilized vehicles and other units under 50% do not count as destroyed) must make a reconstitution check to participate in the next battle. If the unit fails its roll, it cannot participate in the next battle. Due to the possible consequences of this rule, an army commander can decide to withdraw his forces beginning on the third turn of a battle. Any forces which retreat from their deployment zone do not need to make a reconstitution check. If a unit cannot field enough forces to meet a force organization requirement, they must do without the missing units in the next battle. Adapt and overcome!

Units reconstitute on the following rolls: Infantry (including bikes) 5+, vehicles 4+, HQ and special characters 3+

BATTLES--TREE CAMPAIGN

BATTLE 1: AREA RECON OF LANDING ZONE (500 pts) (3 campaign pts)

Patrol Rules (page 183). A 7th Cav reconnaissance element is scouting the landing zone for the invasion force. Alerted to the mission by their off-world brethren, the Dark Angels identified several potential landing zones and have had them under observation to provide detection and early warning for their main body of troops.

BATTLE 2 DA VICTORY: ECONOMY OF FORCE AT THE LANDING ZONE (1000 pts) (4 campaign pts)

The Dark Angels have provided enough early warning to allow for reinforcements to deploy to the landing zone. If the margin of victory from the last battle was a draw, the mission is Take and Hold (pg 83...escalation, deep strike/infiltrate, random length, victory pts). If it was a solid victory or better, the DA commander may be aggressive and choose Meat Grinder (pg 195...7th Cav may use preliminary bombardment) in order to annihilate
the landing force. Alternatively, he may be more conservative and choose Take and Hold. Due to success of the combat patrol, the Dark Angels allowed enough time for reinforcements to reach the landing zone. The DA commander has 1200 points worth of troops to combat the assault landing.

IG VICTORY: REARGUARD AT THE LANDING ZONE (1000 pts) (4 campaign pts)

The 7th Cav made contact with the enemy and quickly developed the situation, setting the conditions for a successful assault landing. If the margin of victory from the last battle was a draw, the mission is Take and Hold (escalation, deep strike/infiltrate, random length, victory pts). If it was a solid victory or better, the mission is Rearguard. The 7th Cav commander may take 50 points of free wargears for winning the combat patrol.

BATTLE 3 DA: SURPRISE ATTACK ON THE COMMAND POST (1500 pts) (5 campaign pts)

Due to the continued success of the Dark Angels, the 7th Cav has decided to move to an alternate landing zone; however, in order to set the conditions for the landing, a local command and control node must be neutralized. The mission is Strongpoint Attack (pg 207) with the DA in the defense. If the DA scored a solid victory or better: Due to the unexpected casualties during the initial landing, the 7th Cav can only afford to commit
to 1300 points of troops to this supporting attack.

IG: SEIZE THE BRIDGE AT ALL COSTS (1500 pts) (5 campaign pts)

The 7th Cav is attempting to seize a key bridge along a major river (no fording points) which will enable a swift attack on the capital city of Grozny. If the margin of victory from the last battle was a draw, the mission is Hold at All Costs (pg 195...escalation, deep strike, random length, victory pts) with the bridge as the objective. If it was a 7th Cav solid victory or better, the mission is Bunker Assault (pg 194...the bridge automatically counts as one
bunker). The 7th Cav commander may take an extra elite or heavy support unit as well as having 1600 pts of troops.

BATTLE 4 DA: I AM A SOLDIER, TOO--PVT LYNCH REVISITED (1500 pts) (7 campaign pts):

The Dark Angels have done an excellent job of delaying the 7th Cav by denying access to the critical bridgehead. Due to this victory, the 7th Cav have had to take an alternate route with extended lines of communication. The convoys moving along these routes are critical to the continuing advance; therefore, they are a high-value target for the Dark Angels. The mission is Ambush (pg 206). If it was a solid victory or better, the DA commander may choose either receive 100 pts of free wargear or choose to bring an additional heavy support or elite choice. The DA commander may choose to launch a counterattack in force. If so, then the mission is Seek and Destroy (deep strike/infiltrate, victory pts).

IG: THE APPROACH TO GROZNY (1500 pts) (7 campaign pts):

The 7th Cav is nearing its final objective; therefore, it is vital to establish a foothold in the urban terrain. In order to set the conditions for the initial assault on Grozny, the 7th Cav's intelligence officer has identified a critical ground surveillance radar and communications site which must be neutralized. The mission is Sabotage. If it was a solid victory or better, the 7th Cav commander may choose either receive 100 pts of free wargear or choose to bring an additional heavy support or elite choice.

BATTLE 5 DA: CITYFIGHT IN GROZNY...to be determined with Cities of Death Rules (8 campaign pts)

IG:

BATTLE 6 DA: DEATHWING TO THE RESCUE (2000 pts) (10 campaign pts)

The Dark Angels have held on long enough for the vaunted Deathwing drop troops to reinforce their comrades on Galahad. With this tremendous reversal of fortune, the 7th Cav suddenly finds itself on the defensive. The DA commander is seizing the initiative to drive through the thin lines of his opponent and attack logistical nodes. The mission is Blitz. If the Dark Angels can slice through the front line units, they will be able to force the 7th Cav to retreat in disarray. Rather than pursue them, this will give the Dark Angels the opportunity to retreat from the planet to another planetary stronghold in another system and seek redress from the Grand Inquisitor and his minions.

IG: KILL THE HERETICS (2000 pts) (10 campaign pts)

The 7th Cav is delivering justice to the Dark Angels on behalf of the Emperor. The coup de main saught since the landing is nigh; both sides know the outcome of this battle will determine the outcome of the entire campaign. The mission is Meat Grinder. Grant no quarter and ask for none!