Pivoting before disembarkation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pivoting before disembarkation

My question is: Does a vehicle count as having moved for disembarkation purposes if it pivoted? (but that's all it did)

The reason I'm interested in this is becaus eldar transports only have one hatch in the back and I don't want to expose rear armor for a turn if I want to get an extra 6 inches.

[EDIT]- The moving under skimmers thread touched on this topic but was inconclusive. I wanna see if it can reach any sort of consensus here.

Last edited by hsin_dragon; June 28th, 2006 at 17:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My outtake on this situation is the piviot will count as movement. Page 61 of the rule book comments on how vehicles may make turns as they move.
    Also the pivoting rule which allows a vehicle to turn itself while still counting as stationary occures specifically during the shooting phase (page 64 for reference), and as such is of no use for disembarking purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

I'm with Ranic on this one. It would feel a little "cheesy" to pivot a vehicle 180 degrees, disembark troops and then go back to moving the vehicle, especially if i was doing so specifically to gain distance. Think of it as moving one unit at a time, with the transport counting as a separate unit. Finish one move before you make the next.

From a gaming point of view, your best bet would be to park side on to the target unit, meaning that the hatch is where you want your troops to get out next turn, but that your rear is only exposed to a short table edge (and consequently less units usually). iirc waveserpents armour is the same on front and side facings...
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by hsin_dragon
    My question is: Does a vehicle count as having moved for disembarkation purposes if it pivoted? (but that's all it did)
    yes, as you can only pivot for free in the shooting phase, all other movement is done in the movement phase. So, as pointed out already, if you pivot in the movement phase, it is movement, thus you cannot assault after disembarking (unless it's a LR variant or open topeed).

The reason I'm interested in this is becaus eldar transports only have one hatch in the back and I don't want to expose rear armor for a turn if I want to get an extra 6 inches.
    It's one of the many things that kinda screws our transports for now, as an experienced player will either move away from your transports, or surround the hatch, making you move the transport and thus be unable to assault.
    [EDIT]- The moving under skimmers thread touched on this topic but was inconclusive. I wanna see if it can reach any sort of consensus here.
    Consensus is as stated, can't do it. But perhaps we'll be getting vehicle upgrades that allow such a thing, here's to big wishes about our new codex.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious, how many inches of movement are used if you pivot during the movement phase? Does moving 0" count as moving?
    Just out of curiousity, whats next? Maybe you can make an issue about the fact that GW didn't define the action of 'rolling' a D6 to actually mean dropping it in such a manner as to produce a random result; thus making it perfectly acceptable to just put them down with the face up of your choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malachi
    Does moving 0" count as moving?
    I'd say that it does. As an analogy, a Deep-Striking unit arrives on the table without moving any distance (as far as the rules are concerned), but it still counts as having moved.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

I'd be inclined to count it as the up to 6" category for the purposes of firing/being fired at next go etc.
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If pivoting on the spot apparently counts as movement during the movement phase, then one should be able to spin on the spot so that assaulting troops can only hit it on a 6. In the BBB it specifically says that skimmers must end their move more than 6" from their original spot to count as moving more than 6", but there is nothing that says this is the case for other vehicles. Thanks for the loophole, I'm sure many happy gamers will now exploit this.
    Just out of curiousity, whats next? Maybe you can make an issue about the fact that GW didn't define the action of 'rolling' a D6 to actually mean dropping it in such a manner as to produce a random result; thus making it perfectly acceptable to just put them down with the face up of your choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spinning to gain a benifit will do nothing for regular vehicles, page 71 of the big rule book clearly explains this. The only advantage to spinning would be to change the arc facing your opponent, which you might as well do with the free spin in the shooting phase as to still be able to fire to full effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ostsol
    I'd say that it does. As an analogy, a Deep-Striking unit arrives on the table without moving any distance (as far as the rules are concerned), but it still counts as having moved.
    I thought there was no standing rule about this situation and that that ruling was more a consensus of the gamers (a good consensus IMO).
    Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast