Librarium Online Forums banner

independant Characters and victroy points

802 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  tarzen 
#1 ·
ok i've a pretty intresting discussion with silver wings over independant characters because i don't have the rule book on hand i have to go by memory and would like to see if i'm wrong on this one....

to get 50% of an independant character's victory points do you

a) have to only take one wound off the character?
or
b) take the majority of the wounds off the character?

#4 ·
i disagree that's what u would get when u just look at the table of victory points but there is a * i don't know how many it could be ***** but it says independant characters follow the same rules for wounds taking as a unit aka over 50% for half the victory points

#6 · (Edited)
i persume it would if the * was next to it's name.

true: wounded=1/2 the VP i was never disputing that what i'm saying what constitutes an Independant character being wounded? your saying once one wound is taken but i read that it follows majority of the wounds following the * to the clarification.

#7 ·
Alright then Evildude449, pg 85 of the rullbook with the **'s next to the category called independant character (the **'s noting on the bottom that the independant character line is the only one used for independant characters regardless of how else they may be classed.) says that if they are wounded then their worth half VP's.

#8 ·
The first * would only apply if you calculated the victory points for a unit and character together, which isn't the case if you read "Units with distinct elements" on pg 86.

The independent character section always applies to him, no matter what. As soon as he takes a wound your opponent gets half VPs for him, simple as that.

#9 · (Edited)
Final statement then off to bed

well alright then what is wounded then?

that is free interpretation not fact wounded could mean either one of the arguments

50% of the victory points simulates that the character has been serverly weakened by the fighting.
is there a point that says when a character has reached that stage? where they have been droped below half strength? i was proven beyond doubt by every person in my local GW store using the 40k rule book as their aid that i was wrong about taking a single wound off a character will give you half their victory points.

oh and i do read my rules carefully if i didn't believe what i am saying 100% i wouldn't be up at 10:00pm having sat on the computer for 1 and a half hours arguing my case honstly it was embarrasing to have your argument (which i once believed) to have been ripped to shreds by all of the GW staff and every 40k player in my local GW store of Perth, Australia

#10 ·
Thats strange Evildude449 because taking even one wound classifies a model as wounded. (and where I play I know that all the players would have sided with you when you asked, twenty vets is so much fun...8))

#12 ·
I've got my hands on a rule book

ok,

at the bottom pg85 in the table there are two notes on the bottom.

one says independant characters always follow this line the other which has harder wording to understand.

it says

Note: if any non vehicle unit includes muliti wound models count wounds not models to see if a unit is above/below 50%.

firstly

are independant characters a vehicle? no

are they mulit wounded? most of the time

so then they count wounds not models to see if they are above or below 50% and therefore wounded if they are below 50%.

this the best the rule book has in clarifing the "wounded" meaning

#13 · (Edited)
Evildude449 said:
ok,

at the bottom pg85 in the table there are two notes on the bottom.

one says independant characters always follow this line the other which has harder wording to understand.

it says

Note: if any non vehicle unit includes muliti wound models count wounds not models to see if a unit is above/below 50%.

firstly

are independant characters a vehicle? no

are they mulit wounded? most of the time

so then they count wounds not models to see if they are above or below 50% and therefore wounded if they are below 50%.

this the best the rule book has in clarifing the "wounded" meaning
Yes that's all well and good except for the line that comes after that.

"**An Independent character always uses this line regardless of its unit type"

The only purpose that line could possibly have is to say that you ignore all that stuff which you just said. It doesn't matter what its unit type is or whether or not it's a vehicle or has multiple wounds. If it's an independent character it uses that line. And that line says that if it's an independent character and is wounded (has taken a wound) it gives half victory points.

edit: yay 500th post. *parties*

#14 ·
Xiahou is completely right,

If you went by Evildudes logic there would be no point to the IC line as everything is a "non-vehicle unit".

IC's use the IC line and ignore the "non-av unit" one, from a) the: ** and b) being Independant Charecters!

#15 ·
Gotta give him credit, certainly convicted. Sorry that all your local GW and gamers are tools and can't read a rule right out og the rule book, must suck come game day...

For a little more help, you could check bgb p 12 under wounds, or bgb p 27 about multiple wound models.

Also, you pointed out exactly why your rule isn't followed that way-bgb p 85- "An IC always uses this line regardless of unit type"

Note, it doesn't say use this line but incorporate all the others, or use this if it's a non vehicle. It clearly says use this line ALWAYS.

Sorry about your local crew dude, best of luck explaining to them that they really ought to check the rules a wee bit better.

#16 ·
So what about independant characters who are vehicles?

examples include Nuadhu 'Fireheart', Wild rider of Saim Hann and Asdrubael Vect. Thier status as both IC's and vehicles means that either:

a. they have to be immobilised for 1/2 points
or
b. they have to be wounded for 1/2 points. According to close combat rules for dreads (which is about the best way to talk of wounding vehicles), any glancing or penetrating hits count as a wounds for determining who won combat. So do you only need a single glance or pen. regardless of its outcome for 1/2 points?

Do these IC's ignore the "An Independent character always uses this line regardless of its unit type" thing?

What then counts as wounding a vehicle?

#17 ·
Bugs_n_Orks said:
So what about independant characters who are vehicles?

examples include Nuadhu 'Fireheart', Wild rider of Saim Hann and Asdrubael Vect. Thier status as both IC's and vehicles means that either:

a. they have to be immobilised for 1/2 points
or
b. they have to be wounded for 1/2 points. According to close combat rules for dreads (which is about the best way to talk of wounding vehicles), any glancing or penetrating hits count as a wounds for determining who won combat. So do you only need a single glance or pen. regardless of its outcome for 1/2 points?

Do these IC's ignore the "An Independent character always uses this line regardless of its unit type" thing?

What then counts as wounding a vehicle?
Clearly falls under the "IC's always use this line regardless of unit type" line. Yup, a single glance will count as wounded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.