Toxic Spore Mines vs Open-topped Vehicles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    LO Zealot Bruiser117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    9 (x3)

    Toxic Spore Mines vs Open-topped Vehicles

    In the bug codex it states that if a toxic spore mine hits an open-topped vehicle it causes one single glancing hit on the vehicle.

    In the rulebook however, that open-topped vehicles are vulnerable to blasts and in the case of open-topped vehicles any template/blast weapon that hits the vehicles counts as two hits.

    If a toxic spore mine hits an open-topped vehicle does it cause one automatic glancing hit, or does it cause two?

    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member marv335's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    22 (x1)

    'nid codex is more recent.
    BGB provides core rules, codex provides exceptions.
    in this case i would say that the codex overrules the BGB and the spore mine only inflicts one hit.
    "i am a leaf in the wind, see how i soar"

  4. #3
    Senior Member Daedelus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

    Tyranids Arn't my strong point, so I may be incorrect in this, but after a review of the codex, it looks as if spore mines are not actually blast weapons. If you have a look at the spore mine profile, you will note that it is listed as being 'Heavy' not 'Heavy / Blast', and is therefore not a 'Blast' type weapon per say.

    It is true that the template is used to determin who/what is hit, I'm not argueing that, but have a look at the wording for the 'Vulnerable to blast/template' special rule, and you will see that it requires a blast or template weapon, not just that the weapon use a blast or template.

    Due to the fact your not hitting it with a blast weapon, the 'vulnerable to blast/template' rule dosn't come into play, and only get the single glancing hit as stated by the toxic mines entry.
    Last edited by Daedelus; August 28th, 2006 at 19:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus
    there is a difference in a well educated kick and an amateur one.

  5. #4
    Son of LO tarzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser117
    In the bug codex it states that if a toxic spore mine hits an open-topped vehicle it causes one single glancing hit on the vehicle.

    In the rulebook however, that open-topped vehicles are vulnerable to blasts and in the case of open-topped vehicles any template/blast weapon that hits the vehicles counts as two hits.

    If a toxic spore mine hits an open-topped vehicle does it cause one automatic glancing hit, or does it cause two?

    It causes one automatically. It doesn't say it causes only one hit, just that one auto glances. BGB open topped rules say that they are VTBaT, and under those rules it says each hit counts as two.

    Add the two together, you get 1 auto glance, and another hit, that needs to roll.

    Mind you this is just word for word from rules, feel free to argue any other way.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

  6. #5
    Orks_n_Bugs Bugs_n_Orks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,388
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

    Quote Originally Posted by tarzen
    It causes one automatically. It doesn't say it causes only one hit, just that one auto glances. BGB open topped rules say that they are VTBaT, and under those rules it says each hit counts as two.

    Add the two together, you get 1 auto glance, and another hit, that needs to roll.

    Mind you this is just word for word from rules, feel free to argue any other way.
    And since toxin mines do not have a strength value there is no way for the second hit to do any damage.

    End result being one glancing hit.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

  7. #6
    Son of LO tarzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_n_Orks
    And since toxin mines do not have a strength value there is no way for the second hit to do any damage.

    End result being one glancing hit.
    My codex has a strength listing for it.

    And daedelus, all mines are blast weapons. Check the codex. This is further covered in the new nid faq.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

  8. #7
    LO Zealot Bruiser117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    9 (x3)

    I'm sorry, but even with the information you have provided me, I'm not sure which answer is correct. This seems like one of the GW rules that could be interpreted either way.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen


  9. #8
    Senior Member Daedelus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by tarzen
    My codex has a strength listing for it.
    I see a strength listing of special, are you claming that its rule applies to armor values the same as it dose for toughness?

    Quote Originally Posted by tarzen
    And daedelus, all mines are blast weapons. Check the codex. This is further covered in the new nid faq.
    The codex dose not list them as such, I did have a look at the faq, so I'll gladly concede that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus
    there is a difference in a well educated kick and an amateur one.

  10. #9
    Son of LO tarzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus
    I see a strength listing of special, are you claming that its rule applies to armor values the same as it dose for toughness?
    Nope, you are 100% correct on this point (as was the other poster. My brain cut out after 12hrs of homework and no sleep. Sorry to cause the confusion.

    Yeah, gotta say, it certainly could go either way.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts