Cover Saves And Firing Whilst in Cover - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cover Saves And Firing Whilst in Cover

Hi All
    This is my first question in a warhammer forum. Sorry if this has already been covered.
    Our warhammer group is not sure about some of the rules regarding cover.

If in cover but more than 6" from the front of the cover is a model able to shoot and be shot at by a model not within the cover?

What about if he is higher/lower than the model in cover?

The clarity of the rules is questionable regarding firing over cover. If i fire at a model behind cover (but not within) does it get a cover save?
    If a model that is in cover is firing at a model not in cover but is still firing over cover (ie the cover he is in) does the model in the open receive a cover save?

Does this also apply to vehicles? if so to what extent (size 2 vs size 3 ect.)?

Do the same rules for vehicles apply to Monsterous Creatures?

Thank you in advance for your time.
    We all thought we knew these rules until these questions were brought up at a recent game and we seek other peoples opinions

Articles Of Faith
    Faith, by its very nature, requires belief outside of known fact.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

1. answered exactly in the rulebook and pretty straight forward you are in cover more than six you cant see or be seen.
    (try using terrain that is only six across makes this rule redundant!)

2. the higher and lower thing only ever counts if you are using city fight and then it doesnt really matter anyway. measure flat across the ground as this stops arguements.

3. You cant fire at models behind cover as you cant see them so this question wont be answered in your rulebook!
    If you mean walls its answered in the rulebook.

4. you only get the save if you are in cover again in the rulebook.

5. if you can see anything you can shoot it, read the vehicle rules again particularly the obscured vehicle rule.

6. are monstorous creatures vehicles? no. therefore they dont.

These questions can sinply be answered by looking it up in the rulebook they are very basic ,even if you are new, look in the rulebook first please lest someone accuse you of fishing for rules without the rulebook. Hope the meagre information ive given above trying not to break copyright helps.

Because you are new im going to give you some helpful advice. Always have at least one rulebook handy. where i play we all know pretty much all the rules but occaisionally we need the rulebook then no-one has one. This causes no end of arguements. the quick reference sheets are invaluable and copying down other rules that crop up often is a good way of clearing the game up. You will learn fast the game isnt too difficult to pick up. Have fun!

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Again

I am not all that new to warhammer 40k. But after playing Necromunda and Mordheim i find the Warhammer 40k rulebook somewhat vague and open to argument and interpretation.

especially since sometimes rules can be scattered throughout the book.

I understand the restrictions due to copyright.

These questions came up due to a game last night between Orks and Tyranids.
    Tyranids on a level 3 building and Orks behind 6"of cover on a level 1 gun emplacement.
    It was argued that the orcs couldn't be shot at even though the Tyranids were on a higher level because they were 6" behind cover. also the Carnifax' couldn't shoot for the same reason.

The mission was to secure loot counters and the orcs won due to them not being able to be shot at.

I wasn't a player in this game just an observer and these rules seemed cheesy but were quoted from the rulebook.

I was not and am not convinced that the rules were stated in true context.
    Articles Of Faith
    Faith, by its very nature, requires belief outside of known fact.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

seems very beardy to me but if the bunker was area terrain then its correct. if it was merely a wall then they could be seen by both tyranid units and the player was cheating.
    the easy way round is to go through terrain before set up saying if it is area terrain who can see over or through it etc. After a while this is very quick and if its similar people playing all the time then players remember after a while.
    Much as its beardy it serves the tyranid player right. tyranids are supposed to be assaulty so taking a shooty list is a bit beardy lol. He should have been swamping the loot counters with genestealers not skulking in tall buildings!

must admit it is nice to ask someone else occaisionally though!

A

+ Reply to Thread