Issues with red paint job - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with red paint job

This came up during last nights intense combat between Blood Angels and Orks:
    A looted Leman Russ (with red paint job)had a break down failure and was forced to go 7" straight ahead. I argued that he could not fire his battlecannon since he was forced to move more that 6". He ofcourse wanted to fire it.

I believe that red paint job only applies to a volontary move giving an extra "freebee" inch, and should not be used to remove an inch when moving involontary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the red paint job doesnt say anything about 'voluntary movement' (from memory), so i'd say that it counted as only moving 6"

EDIT: just read the red paint job entry, it says that they add 1" to all moves... so he actually would have had to move 8" and count as moving 7" i believe...
    Last edited by Ling_Lover; October 19th, 2006 at 14:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it says it adds 1 inch to all moves, then my intuition is to go with the regular rule that if you move more than 6" you may not fire ordinance. Absent a rule to the contrary for his looted vehicles, I'd stick with that as the guideline. Unfortunately this ruling would not be very helpful for your friend, but may be a reason to avoid using red paint in the future.

Are there more rules that could possibly affect the outcome of this debate?
    Rules corruptions are simply that, corruptions, they neither deserve to be part of a logical argument, nor do they deserve to be considered as fact for deciding the governing rules of this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

We've had this up on the WAAAGH before, and we tend to come to the conclusion that you CAN move 7" (AKA 6"+1") and still fire ordinance.
    However, and this gets at what you were talking about, you can not use it to subtract an inch from a movement you made. That was found to be both against the spirit of the rules and beardy. He could have moved 8" (the 7" break-down test result + the 1" RPJ), but he can not claim that he in reality moved just one inch (mostly because the RPJ says nothing about subtracting, and all about adding).
    "Some days you're the Mekboy building the kannon, the rest you're the grot being blown up by it."
    - Quote attributed to Sorkrates, before his much mourned death due to ingestion of Hemsquig Juice.

"Dis iz my choppa, and herez me gun. Dat's for killin' and so'z dis one!"
    - Bloodaxe Kommando Warchant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by citybeatnik
    He could have moved 8" (the 7" break-down test result + the 1" RPJ)
    I read it as HAVING to move the extra inch, it doesnt say 'may add 1"' it says that it does

with normal movement you dont have to move the maximum range, but with a brekdown you do, so i'd say its 8" if you roll a 7, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

I don't quite understand this argument.

Red Paint makes you move 1" further. I don't think he "has" to use the red paint. Otherwise technically he can never remain motionless and always have to move that 1".

It also specifically says this extra movement doesn't count for how far you moved for shooting purposes. If he rolled a 7 he counted as moving more than 6". He may either move 7" or 8" depending on whether he wanted to use his red paint or not.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink
    I don't quite understand this argument.

Red Paint makes you move 1" further. I don't think he "has" to use the red paint. Otherwise technically he can never remain motionless and always have to move that 1".
    let me quote the orks codex...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orks Codex
    An Ork vehicle with a red paint job add +1" to all of its move distances.
    i dont see an option there... as far as i can tell its saying that the 1" is added, no options
    so that would mean that you would have to move the 1" at all times, going by the RAW
    Last edited by Ling_Lover; October 20th, 2006 at 08:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Hmm thats a good point Ling_Lover.

It usually wouldn't matter as you just choose to drop an inch from your normal movement. However for compulsory moves it does indeed force you the extra inch.

I stand corrected.

Although it still has no impact on whether or not he can fire the big gun on the tank.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

You can still choose to not move(well not in this case, but you get my point), hence no extra 1". but any(any) movement gets the extra bonus no matter what you'd like the vehicle to do. It makes things bizarrely erratic.

But that's the wonderful joy of playin wit da boyz'.
    :ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

+ Reply to Thread