Veil Of Tears - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veil Of Tears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Veil Of Tears

I bought the Nw Eldar coex today so I can keep up to date with them. Now the Harlequins may have a Shadowseer. The Shadowseer can cast Veil of Tears. Which then makes you roll 2d6X2 in order to see them. Question because this affects a unit to see them Would a Psychic Hood counter the power? What about the Grey Knights Agies Suits would they also be able to counter the power?

Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantianWarrior View Post
    I bought the Nw Eldar coex today so I can keep up to date with them. Now the Harlequins may have a Shadowseer. The Shadowseer can cast Veil of Tears. Which then makes you roll 2d6X2 in order to see them. Question because this affects a unit to see them Would a Psychic Hood counter the power? What about the Grey Knights Agies Suits would they also be able to counter the power?
    If it requires a psychic test, then yes. If no, then I don't think so. I'm not the most knowlegable when it comes to Eldar and Psychic powers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Hmm, I didn't spot that.

As it follows the same rules as the Warlock Powers, and they are permanenetly on (not Psychic test required), then I would say the Psychic Hood etc don't affect them.
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Thank you you two. I was just making sure. On a side note most of the Eldar have fleet thats nice.:wacko:
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

Pg 49 of the Eldar dex, following Veil of tears:

A Shadowseer is a psyker and has the veil of tears psychic power.....

So, yes a hood could counter it.

:ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Carot View Post
    So, yes a hood could counter it.
    --- Nope, as that isn't enough to determine whether the power can be countered or not.

PsyHood is very specific about the conditions that must exist before You can try to use it to nullify a Psychic power. You can't just nullify any old Psychic power. The page reference depends on the Codex, but at least in my Wargear book the important part is the second sentence of the PsyHood rules: "Declare that You'll use..."

If the power does not require the thing mentioned in the above reference, then You can not use PsyHood to counter it.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

You can use a psychic hood to counter a power that doesn't require a leadership test, but not to counter a power that is permanently on.

Bolt of change on a tzeentch sorcerer can be countered. Synapse cannot. S5 AP3 warp blast can be countered. Veil of tears cannot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari View Post
    You can use a psychic hood to counter a power that doesn't require a leadership test, but not to counter a power that is permanently on.

Bolt of change on a tzeentch sorcerer can be countered. Synapse cannot. S5 AP3 warp blast can be countered. Veil of tears cannot.
    --- Incorrect. Expanding clarification:

The power must require a Psychic test and this is explicitly stated at least in the Wargear book version and very likely in the 4thEd SM version of PsyHood. Do note that in case of Tzeentch Sorcerers the test is still taken, even though it is automatically succesful and You usually don't bother to roll the dice. That's why it can be PsyHooded: There's a test.

But if the power never states it requires a test, it can not be nullified by PsyHood regardless of whether it is a continuous power or used at a specific time. Perfect example is the normal Tyranid Warp Blast which You claim can be nullified... It can't, as it doesn't require a test. If a Tyranid blasts You with a regular, non-testing, Power-Armour killing WBlast, then Your PsyHood is worth nothing. You can nullify the more powerful focused WBlast as it requires a test to use, but not the normal one as there is no test.

Of course, here it helps that the Tyranid Codex itself clearly states which powers can and which can't be nullified, but it doesn't change the fact that PsyHood wording is also clear, at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by Uzi-99; November 15th, 2006 at 03:35.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x1)

I actually agree with Uzi-99, regarding the psychic hood.

I appologize for my previous assumptions. I'm still very new to eldar in general, I haven't even play-tested my army yet.

Hysterically, this brought a typo in the shiny new eldar dex to my attention.

There's a cross-referencing error on page 49. It says : "It follows the same rules as Warlock powers (see page 20-21)."

All that's on page 20-21 is fluff and a mention of exarch powers. The actual Warlock powers rules are on page 28. Sloppy.

:ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

It looks like the GK Aegis Suit does not work against Veil of Tears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast