killing target in assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

killing target in assault

so, bikes with 12 inch charge range move 12 inches into firing range of
    a
    vehicle (bassie for instance). They fire and destroy it.

SO, they can only charge the unit they shot at ok

BUT they can charge more than one unit if they maintain coherency

so, if the lead biker moves to the bassie, can the rest of the bikers
    assault another nearby unit if the maintain coherency

the rules are vague about assault phase shooting, especially if it
    results
    in the death of the target

thoughts?

i guess its you can only assault that target? SO effectively you are stuck?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

They must assault the same unit they shot, there is no fancy way at all to attack another unit with one charge.

Bikes can charge 12"? I thought it was only 6"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

bikes can only move 6. calvary can move 12. i think there is some varient rule (maybe forge world) for space marines to ride beasts. i know i've seen some modeled on lizards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

As Adrian said, there's no way around this. If the model you shot at is destroyed in the shooting phase, you cannot assault (there maybe one or two exceptions I don't know about). When a vehicle is destroyed it becomes difficult terrain (paraphrased from page 68 BG. You cannot assault terrain.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

If You shoot, You must charge the unit You shot at.

You may engage multiple units, but if You shot at something You must must start the charge by engaging that unit first. Both this and the one above are pretty clearly stated on page 36 of the 4thEd rules, right column, "Shooting and Assaulting". first and third paragraphs.

If You destroy the unit with shooting, You may not charge as You destroyed Your primary charge target. That You could reach another unit makes no difference, because the rules require You to first engage the one You shot at which You can no longer do.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

absolutely correct. What he was asking was right, except you have to have a valid target to assault, and terrain is not.

Space Marine Commander. "all right boys, nice work destroying that tank, now run over there and hack up the pieces. Really, we can take care of these guys still shooting, you concentrate on that rubble."

However, what you say it TOTALLY legal if you didn't destroy the target.

Example. You get a penetrating hit on a transport, but fail to destroy it. All occupants are forced to disembark on any penetrating hit. If the first model has sufficient range, and space between the bases of the now in-the-way occupants to reach the transport, all of the rest of the squad is free to assault said occupants as long as you follow coherency rules for assaulting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks people

so potentially if you destroy main gun on an artillery piece and its not particularly useful any more you could use this to instead attack a nearbye unit which is still a threat

ps charge range of bikes was off the top of my head, it was only for the example

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so another very similar thing here

i'm a chaos player and regularly use raptors with 3 meltas in squad as tank hunting troops

so, my raptors shoot at this poor bassie again (its died a fair few times now) and it is destroyed

my raptors can hit and run 3d6 at the end of the assault phase if they are in combat

SO, if they destroy the bassie they effectively are denied this ability

so to mr funny guy with the commander quotes trying to put realism into 40k rules (which is just wrong, we play a game, if you want realism there are much more suitable rules systems out there). Why exactly because the bassie is no longer there can my raptors suddenly not engage those jet packs to get the heck out of dodge? is the explosion too bright that it blinds those little eyes? (ps don't take offence at the sarcasm, i'm trying to be funny and not in any way to upset people)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by garmor View Post
    so another very similar thing here

i'm a chaos player and regularly use raptors with 3 meltas in squad as tank hunting troops

so, my raptors shoot at this poor bassie again (its died a fair few times now) and it is destroyed

my raptors can hit and run 3d6 at the end of the assault phase if they are in combat

SO, if they destroy the bassie they effectively are denied this ability
    You are never locked in assault with vehicles (except walkers) so the raptors couldn't hit and run even if they didn't destroy it.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread