Rending tanks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rending tanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Rending tanks

Ok, a rule id like clarifying about stealers and tanks. (This came up today and ive probably been cheated again!)
    I attacked the back armour of a pred. Rolled to hit, got a 6. now i thought you got to roll another die, add it to the six, then add the attackers strenth to get your penetration result. Is this right or am i completely wrong? He said I could only add the 6 to the 5 (The extra die i got for rending) and that was it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

And ive done it again, first i post my battle report in the nids section, now ive done it with a rules question! SORRY!!!! Please mr mod, do something about it for me lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

And a double post! You're all kinds of trouble 'round these parts, aren't you?

To answer your question - the Rend against a tank doesn't happen until you roll for Penetration. Not on the To-Hit roll.

So it'd go like this - You roll to hit (or autohit, depending on the tank's movement.) Then you roll for penetration normally. Any rolls of a 6 will rend, and you'll gain the bonus.

Make sense?

Edit -
    Missed a part. You also add your strength of the model to the roll, like always. Nothing takes that away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

On tanks, rending works differently. You first roll to hit, or if the tank hasn't moved, you don't have to roll. Then if you hit, you roll for ap. If on this roll you get a 6, you may roll another ap dice, add both dice rolls to your strength and the combined number is your ap.
    Here is an example:

Stealer attacks chimera that has moved
    3 attacks, roll a 4, a 5 and a 1
    2 hits, rolls a 6 and a 2
    The 2 is added to the strength and doesn't pierce. The other stealer gets to roll another dice.
    Rolls a 3, adds the 3+4+6=13
    It pierces

Edit: I gotta write shorter posts so people don't beat me to it:rolleyes:
    Last edited by Warrior47; November 24th, 2006 at 01:05.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x7)

Thanks Caluin, i promise to be good from now on!

Thanks warrior. That cheating little swine only let me use the two dice, no strength! Im gonna wipe the floor with him next time. ITS WAR NOW! Still, i glanced, AND HE STILL CHEATED SAYING CREW STUNNED WOULD STILL LET HIM DRIVE AWAY AND FIRE ! GUN COS OF THE MACHINE SPIRIT!

Sorry for caps, im really mad! That should of been my game! I hate cheaters!
    Last edited by macewind; November 24th, 2006 at 01:04.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Bring your own copy of the rulebook, and politely show him the page where it states he's wrong, next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by macewind View Post
    Thanks Caluin, i promise to be good from now on!

Thanks warrior. That cheating little swine only let me use the two dice, no strength! Im gonna wipe the floor with him next time. ITS WAR NOW! Still, i glanced, AND HE STILL CHEATED SAYING CREW STUNNED WOULD STILL LET HIM DRIVE AWAY AND FIRE ! GUN COS OF THE MACHINE SPIRIT!

Sorry for caps, im really mad! That should of been my game! I hate cheaters!
    Actually, IIRC, if the Pred did have the Machine Spirit upgrade, the tank is still able to do some minimal moving and shooting despite a shaken/stunned result. The Machine Spirit takes over and does its thing while the crew are out of it.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Yup, you can move straight ahead with PotMS and if you've moved under 6" you can fire one weapon at a reduced BS. Many people (including myself) forget that PotMS only allows you to shoot if you've moved under 6".
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    Then if you hit, you roll for ap. If on this roll you get a 6, you may roll another ap dice, add both dice rolls to your strength and the combined number is your ap.
    Here is an example:

Stealer attacks chimera that has moved
    3 attacks, roll a 4, a 5 and a 1
    2 hits, rolls a 6 and a 2
    The 2 is added to the strength and doesn't pierce. The other stealer gets to roll another dice.
    Rolls a 3, adds the 3+4+6=13
    It pierces
    Really? I've been doing it wrong the whole time and nobody corrected me? I'll use and Ass.Cannon in my example since I play Marines... The way I've been doing it is:

Ass.Cannon attacks chimera that has moved
    4 attacks, roll a 4, 6, 2 and a 1
    The 4 hit rolls the following for AP: AP = Str + 1d6
    The 6 hit rolls the following for AP: AP = Str + 2d6

In theory the rending hit can still fail to damage... roll 1s on each d6: Str6 + 1 + 1 = 8

So to be clear, I should be rolling to hit and any AP roll of 6 allows me another d6? I dunno... Sounds too powerfull. Your way guarantees penetration:

Str6 + 6 + d6 is a min AP of 13!

I gotta check my rulebook when I get home.
    Snazzed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you check the rulebook you should realise that rending works differently for shooting and close combat. CC rending lets you roll extra dice if you roll a 6 for *penetration* (requiring the target to be hit first). Shooting does this if you roll a 6 for the *to hit* roll. Hope that clears it up. And I hope I haven't broken copyright...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast