Base Size Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Base Size Question

Players that have been playing for a while may/may not have come across this.

I believe the rule is that the base a model uses must be atleast the size of the base that came with model when purchased.

When i bought a new waithlord last year it came on a different size base then my old waithlord. Am i required to "upgrade" the size of my old waithlords base? Or would the ruling mean that one waithlord base can be smaller then the other.

So far anyone that I've played has accepted the base sizes as is. But I wanted some other opinions.

PS, I really don't want to upgrade the base cause I spent some time on it and i like the look of the old base. Its not cause i want an unfair advantage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

if the old terminators dont need to upgrade to current size, then the wraithlords dont.

Along the same lines, does anybody know what size flying bases come with the eldar jetbikes? I honestly have no idea anymore.
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Where does it say that Terminators can still use the old bases?

I think in the interests of simplicity you should be able to use your old mid sized base, but be aware that not everyone may see it that way. Maybe just try not to advertise the fact...

Another thing to consider is that Monstrous Creatures block line of sight and with a bigger base, it nearly double this blockage zone...
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I really haven't come across a situation really that really benefits me having a smaller base... maybe would help against 'stealers. I usually don't use them to block line of sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Good point against the stealers

You don't want more of the little buggers in combat with you, cause they're going to rip you a new one!

And as for line of sight, I use Fex's to block LOS to more expensive, lightly armoured close combat units like warriors and stealers behind them.
    Would help with Eldar as well.
    Last edited by Solo; November 27th, 2006 at 12:13.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Where does it say that Terminators can still use the old bases?
    Solo,

I think the question to ask is where does it say that Terminators cannot still use the old bases? Assuming of course that the old bases are the ones they came with when purchased. There are no provisions in the rulebook or any codex that requires players to rebase old models, just because newer versions come with larger bases.

Valerian

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian View Post
    Solo,

I think the question to ask is where does it say that Terminators cannot still use the old bases? Assuming of course that the old bases are the ones they came with when purchased. There are no provisions in the rulebook or any codex that requires players to rebase old models, just because newer versions come with larger bases.

Valerian

The BGB states you can use bases larger than normal, but not smaller ones (can't provide page ref as I don't have my bgb on me, sorry)... so by that token, one could argue that since terminators now come with the larger bases, the smaller ones are no longer legal. I personally don't mind, but it's something to be aware of.

Of course, if someone wants to be that anal, you can get back at him by taking a squad of assault terminators that start in a LRC... have one of the terminators mounted on a 24" diameter base (valid according to the rules). So you disembark and assault on the first turn, with the whole squad in that combat zone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    The BGB states you can use bases larger than normal, but not smaller ones (can't provide page ref as I don't have my bgb on me, sorry)...
    Moob,

BGB page 6 stated that GW miniatures are usually supplied with a base, and this should be viewed as the minimum size base they can be mounted on. You can chose larger bases but not smaller. Since all Terminators prior to 2004 (?) were supplied with 25mm bases, they are all still perfectly legit.

Valerian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Valarian is right in this.

Models must be based on the base they came with, or one that is larger. End of story.

If you wish to model them on the newer bases, fine and dandy.

If you have all your bikes and dreads without bases, from old models (second ed), fine and dandy.

Putting new termies on old bases-NO.

Also, side note-solo, LOS for MC's is done using the model, not the base. Canisters (cylinders) aren't used for determining MEV. They are for terms of area terrain, and CC, but not when shooting past MCs.

And Moob-while technically legal, the 24" base causes all sorts of other problems- Including the fact that to assault, the whole unit would have to have them, or just the one guy would fight (and probably die). Besides the fact that you would score a 0 in comp and sportsmanship, and probably generalship too. The other problem is the movement, as you couldn't turn the model to gain extra movement. That said, it is much smarter than the people that play using big tanks. Land raiders by the very rules can't come in from reserves facing forward as they are too long. Same for monoliths, and other goodies. Since you can only move 6" and the model is longer than that=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Just one in the unit would need it to provide a 2" combat zone to the rest of the squad (assuming he's not an IC). Though the rest of the squad would be piling in for quite a while! And yes, it's definitely a 0 sports / comp, I'd never do it to anyone but a good friend as a joke, but it is something that going by RAW is legal. I was just pointing out something one could do if someone was giving you a hard time about base sizes :p

Valerian - I stand corrected on the base size issue. I didn't have my bgb in front of me, so didn't know it included a 'supplied with' clause.

Tarzen, where does it say that MC LoS is used only for the model and not the base? I am still at work (bad posting here, I know!), so can't look it up in the bgb yet... but I could have sworn that it said somewhere los is measured to/from the base for non-vehicles. That they are said to be occupying the entire base and not just their static pose?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast