Units w/ Varying Multiple Saves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Units w/ Varying Multiple Saves

Ok, this is one that I've been trying to figure out for awhile now, best way to explain it is examples:

Scenerio 1:
    I have a Unit of 5 Models, 4 of them have a 3+ Armour Save, the 5th has a 3+ armour Save AND a 5+ Invul save. The unit is hit with a single AP1 shot, can this single shot be taken with the 5+ Invul save? And if failed that model with the Invul save is removed.

Scenerio 2:
    I have a Unit of 5 Models, all 5 have a 2+ save AND a 4+ Invul save. The unit is hit 4 times, 3 hits are from AP3 weapons while the 4th is from an AP2 weapon. Can I use the unit's 3+ save vs the 3 AP3 hits and the 4+ invul vs the AP2 hit?

Scenerio 3:
    A unit of 8 models, 5 with 3+ Armour Save, 3 with a 3+ Armour save AND a 5+ Invul Save. This unit is hit with 4 AP3 weapons. Provided I can do what is done in Scenerio 1 (otherwise skip this) in this case would I take 3 Invul saves vs these 4 shots and the 4th takes out one of the non invul save guys? So I 1st remove a guy without an invul save, then roll 3 dice and any die under 5 causes a guy with an invul save to be removed.

Once I get this cleared up I think I'll have a full handle on saves, mixed armour, etc...

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

1. No. The majority have no save, so you use that (and therefore they die).

2. Yes. The 4+ inv. save is in the majority, so it can be used against the AP2 weapon.

3. See 1 .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you sure about number 1? if u read the example in the BGB

page 76 under "Mixed Armour" example 4

it states that you could use the better save but if failed it will kill said model

read it over
    In the name of god impure souls of the living dead shal be banished into eturnal damnation. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by bluealien 47 View Post
    are you sure about number 1? if u read the example in the BGB

page 76 under "Mixed Armour" example 4

it states that you could use the better save but if failed it will kill said model

read it over
    Nope, that's a bad explanation by GW (again). If you look there are 6x 3+ saves and 5 4+ saves. They say you can use the 3+ saves, not because they are better but because they are the majority.

Hope that clears it up.
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wish GW would make some better examples of some of the more complicated issues. There have been many times, reading through the rulebook, where my brain imploded, because it made zero sense.
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x2)

Awesome, thanks guys! This comes up almost every game with use due to the 2 Tau players in my home games and their stupid Broad Sides w/ their stupid Shield Drones We never knew how to handle the Shield Drone Invul Save, now I know its only used if they are in the majority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was example 3... not 4... but i guess it does say majority takes save then the "aditional" save can be made with the 2+ but risks losing the important model

yarrrr....i be a sad pirate... time to go kill that stupid squad that protects my friends
    DE archon.....stupid 2+ invulnerable bull****
    In the name of god impure souls of the living dead shal be banished into eturnal damnation. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys something doesn't seem right. I'm a BT player and have to deal with Mixed Armour all the time. INV saves are not counted when determining Mixed armour, it's the base armour only. If a model has an INV save it can elect to use that save in place of the base armour.

None of Monkeyclops examples use the Mixed Armour Rule because the base armour save is always the same.

EX 1 5 modles with 3+ armour save, 1 with 5+ inv save
    EX 2 5 modles with 2+ armour save, 4 with 4+ inv save
    EX 3 8 modles with 3+ armour saves, 3 with 5+ inv save

In each example the base armour save for each model is the same, therefore Mixed Armour does not come into play and Monkeyclops can allocate wounds however he wants. I used to think that INV saves were counted toward Mixed Armour but after lengthy discussion with GW and Veteran BT players I was set straight.

This is my interpretation...

Scenerio 1:
    I have a Unit of 5 Models, 4 of them have a 3+ Armour Save, the 5th has a 3+ armour Save AND a 5+ Invul save. The unit is hit with a single AP1 shot, can this single shot be taken with the 5+ Invul save? And if failed that model with the Invul save is removed.
    Yes you can. Since it’s only 1 shot and all you model’s armor saves are 3 you can chose to elect who takes the save. Inv saves can be taken in place of regular armor saves they’re not counted toward Mix Armor therefore you can elect to save vs the model with the Inv.

Scenerio 2:
    I have a Unit of 5 Models, all 5 have a 2+ save AND a 4+ Invul save. The unit is hit 4 times, 3 hits are from AP3 weapons while the 4th is from an AP2 weapon. Can I use the unit's 3+ save vs the 3 AP3 hits and the 4+ invul vs the AP2 hit?
    Yes as Inv saves can be used in place of armor saves at your discretion.

Scenerio 3:
    A unit of 8 models, 5 with 3+ Armour Save, 3 with a 3+ Armour save AND a 5+ Invul Save. This unit is hit with 4 AP3 weapons. Provided I can do what is done in Scenerio 1 (otherwise skip this) in this case would I take 3 Invul saves vs these 4 shots and the 4th takes out one of the non invul save guys? So I 1st remove a guy without an invul save, then roll 3 dice and any die under 5 causes a guy with an invul save to be removed.
    Again, Inv saves are not included in Mixed Armor. All 8 models have 3+ armor saves and some have Inv saves. Once again, since the wounds you take are less then the number of models in the squad you elect who takes which saves. You are correct, you could elect to take 3 Inv saves, and 1 guy dies with no save.
    Last edited by DarkBishop; December 9th, 2006 at 16:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Dark Bishop has the ruling as i play it. Don't totally sure if its right, just thats how i play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x2)

DarkBishop, that was my initial thoughts after having read the BGB over many times. It also makes the most sense to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast