Tau Broadside w/ Shield Drones vs. Lascannon Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau Broadside w/ Shield Drones vs. Lascannon Question

I have a broadside with shield drones in my army. If my broadside gets hit by a lascannon, do i still get my inv. save? There is a rule in the BGB that says models with no saves have to be removed first (pg. 24). I really don't like that, so i was wondering if there was a special rule or something. Thanks

I posted this in the tau forums but the guys i play with wanted it here hehe.

"To follow any path other than the Tau'va is to doom us all. Only together and with courage and discipline shall we stand victorious. Fight with fire and courage and nothing can stand against us."

- Commander Shadowsun

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox3 View Post
    I have a broadside with shield drones in my army. If my broadside gets hit by a lascannon, do i still get my inv. save? There is a rule in the BGB that says models with no saves have to be removed first (pg. 24). I really don't like that, so i was wondering if there was a special rule or something. Thanks

I posted this in the tau forums but the guys i play with wanted it here hehe.
    Well tell the guys that shield drones now have the same armour save and toughness of the unit/model that controls them, this means that majority tgh and mixed armour rules do not apply, and because they have the same armour save (which is negated by the lasscannon) as the broadside and the same toghness you can allocate the hit to the shield drones who can elect to take their invulnerable save, the only time a shield drone is useless is for things like vindicares who can specifically nominate a single model I/E the broadside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the BGB also states that when you take wounds from shooting, "you begin by removing all models that do not get a saving throw." Page 24 Now the AP from a lascannon will negate the armor save from the unit (1 Broadside and 1 Shield drone) but leaving the invul. save on the shield drone. So wont you begin by allocating the wounds to those who won't get a save a.k.a. the broadside or do the shield drones give the entire unit an invul save?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Xellous View Post
    Well the BGB also states that when you take wounds from shooting, "you begin by removing all models that do not get a saving throw." Page 24 Now the AP from a lascannon will negate the armor save from the unit (1 Broadside and 1 Shield drone) but leaving the invul. save on the shield drone. So wont you begin by allocating the wounds to those who won't get a save a.k.a. the broadside or do the shield drones give the entire unit an invul save?
    Xellous, the BGB does state that, but you've got to be careful not to take it out of context. That clause is included so that you don't have to mess around with saves more than you already do. However, in the case of the example given (Broadside and Shield drone), you first have to determine how to allocate the shot. In general you have to follow this process (this isn't precise, doesn't include references, and is just for simplification):

1. Enemy determines wounding hits
    2. Determine whether Mixed Armour applies
    3. If no Mixed Armour, then the owning player allocates hits
    4. If no Save is allowed, then just remove the model. If saves are allowed then roll them. If no Armour Save is allowed, but an Invulnerable Save/Cover Save is available, then roll that.
    5. Remove models that didn't save

In the case of the Broadside and Shield Drone they both have the same Armour Save, so Mixed Armour doesn't really apply. Because of that the owning player can allocate the wound to the Shield Drone. Its Armour Save is negated by the weapons low AP, but it can then opt to take its Invulnerable Save.

Regards,

Valerian

+ Reply to Thread